The health benefits of drinking Barley Water for the kidneys and more.
1. Barley is a delicious healthy grain which has been grown for over 10,000 years. This is often used to make breakfast cereal and as natural medicine. Barley water is used to cleanse the body and was often drank Ancient Greece. It is also used nowadays in Ayurveda, the Indian form of natural medicine.
2. Drinking barley water every day has numerous health benefits for the body. This works especially well in healing and purifying the kidneys naturally.
3. Kidney disease and poor kidney function are common problems in the modern world, as we tend to eat a lot of unhealthy junk foods and not enough leafy greens. Barley water contains an extremely high amount of dietary fibre, which helps to flush out toxins and heal these vital organs.
4. Barley water reduces swelling and inflammation in the kidneys and makes you urinate more often. This process restores the health of the kidneys and can be even be used safely for those on dialysis.
5. The drink also reduces the amount of calcium in the kidneys which prevents the formation of kidney stones.
Recipe: You Will Need: 1 Cup Pearl Barley 5 Cups Distilled Water (1.1 Litre) 2 Teaspoons Lemon Juice
Method: Place the pearl barley in a sieve and wash under cold running water for 1-2 minutes. Then add these to a pan with the distilled water and lemon juice. Bring the mixture to the boil and simmer for 25 minutes with the lid off. The grains should be soft and cooked well so that the nutrients have soaked into the water. Sieve this mixture to remove the grains using a fine mesh or cheesecloth. You now have your fresh barley water. Drink one cup of this mixture in the morning on an empty stomach. You can also add a little raw honey If you wish to enhance the flavour. Barley water stays fresh for three days when kept cold.
6. The minerals within barley water have been scientifically proven to help reduce blood sugar levels. This takes a strain off the kidneys and allows them to perform other tasks.
7. Barley water also reduces blood urea nitrogen (BUN) levels. This naturally treats nephrocalcinosis, a common issue in kidney patients.
8. If you suffer from swelling in the legs then it is likely that you have poor circulation and water retention. Drinking a cup of barley water each day reduces swelling and improves mobility.
9. High amounts of creatinine in the body can also be the cause of kidney-related problems. Barley water flushes out creatinine due to the fibre it contains
10. In Ayurveda, this drink is commonly used to treat painful urinary tract infections (UTI’s.) 11. This drink also promotes weight loss as it stimulates the metabolism. This allows your body to break down its own body fat for energy. The fibre in barley water makes you feel fuller for longer. 12. The beta-glucans in barley water is excellent for balancing cholesterol levels in the blood. They inhibit the body’s absorption of harmful triglycerides from food and improve insulin resistance.
13. Foods containing lots of fibre such as this are always helpful in maintaining a healthy heart and boosting the strength of the cardiovascular system.
14. The lemon juice within today’s remedy is also effective at reducing calcium levels in the kidneys, which lowers the risk of kidney stones. We recommend using freshly squeezed lemons for the best effects.
15. The soluble fibre within barley helps to feed the friendly bacteria (intestinal flora) in your gut. This bacteria helps your body to absorb nutrients from foods, so it’s important to keep these in balance.
16. The friendly bacteria boost will also help in treating irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), Crohn’s disease and Ulcerative Colitis.
17. Barley water is rich in magnesium, an important mineral which can help those with diabetes. It helps the cells to become responsive to insulin and aids in controlling blood sugar.
18. Drinking this regularly reduces the risk of colon cancer due to the antioxidants, saponins, phytic acid and phenolic acids it contains. This drink is a powerhouse of essential nutrients that should never be ignored.
19. You can also enjoy rich wholegrain barley flour as an alternative to regular white flour. This is healthier and contains more nutrients and benefits for your body.
20. Barley grass is grown from the seeds and also has a great range of health benefits.