10 drinks for keto dieting with low carb content.
When you are on a ketogenic diet it is important to drink healthy fluids to keep the body hydrated. Your body will require more minerals and nutrients in order to cleanse itself and improve your health, whilst burning fat.
In this article, we will share with you a list of healthy drinks for keto. These are all low carb and will help you to stay in ketosis.
1. Green Tea: An ancient drink made from Chinese herbal leaves which can be drunk throughout the day. It helps you to feel fuller for longer by increasing a hormone in the brain called dopamine. It also contains compounds which help your body to tap into its fat reserves for energy.
2. Bone Broth: One of the healthiest drinks in any diet, bone broth supplies the body with electrolytes. Electrolytes are important when losing weight, as the body burns through these quickly. A cup of bone broth perks you up and reduces feelings of tiredness and fatigue, also known as “keto flu”.
3. Mineral Water: Look for a good quality mineral water, preferably from a volcanic source. This water supplies trace minerals and electrolytes to keep you feeling energised throughout the day. Water is one of nature’s most powerful healers.
4. Black Coffee: Black coffee contains polyphenols and compounds which can help you to lose more weight. Consuming 1-2 cups per day will help you to feel more relaxed, however, you should not overdo this. Too much caffeine can overstimulate the body by producing too much adrenaline. If you wish to sweeten, add a teaspoon of Xylitol or Erythritol or Monkfruit powder.
5. Black Tea: Regular black tea is keto-friendly and can help you to feel fuller between meals. It also contains small amounts of caffeine which will boost your mood.
6. Matcha Tea: This is a super-concentrated form of green tea which is grown in Japan and has been used by Monks for centuries. It boosts energy levels, triggers healing at the cellular level and boosted metabolism. This helps the body to burn fat faster but has a higher cost than regular green tea.
7. Unsweetened Almond Milk: Many people wish to add a little creaming agent to their tea or coffee. Regular milk contains a small amount of sugar, however, almond milk does not. Be sure to check that the product has no hidden or added sugar, or you can make this yourself at home.
8. Keto Chocolate Milkshake The early stages of keto can be difficult when you are craving a delicious treat. Make a delicious keto milkshake by blending 2 tablespoons cacao powder with 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1/2 cup of water. You may wish to add some ice and a little stevia for sweetness.
9. Peppermint Tea: This contains a naturally occurring compound called menthol. This can help to speed up the process of fat burning and boost metabolism. It can also prevent constipation during keto which is a common issue. Kidney function is improved when drinking this every day.
10. Kale & Berry Smoothie: Kale is one of the most nutrient-dense superfoods on the planet. Drinking a kale smoothie for breakfast will supply your body with a large amount of potassium which is extremely important on keto. Add a handful of kale to a blender, with a small handful of berries. Top this off with mineral water and process. Drink this daily to supercharge your health.
11. Apple Cider Vinegar Drink for the keto diet: Apple cider vinegar is the most powerful healing liquid in the world. Adding a teaspoon to a glass of water helps the body to absorb more nutrients from previous meals. The acetic acid heals the stomach from digestive disorders and boosts friendly bacteria in the intestines. This fluid is the number 1 weight loss aid ever discovered.
12. Carbonated Water: Carbonated water is also known as “sparkling water”. This is excellent to drink during keto as the carbonation helps you to feel fuller and more satisfied as the gasses produce a pleasant feeling in the stomach. Feel free to add a slice of lemon or lime to this to this for a zingy flavour.
As you can see there are plenty of drinks you can enjoy throughout the day whilst following a keto plan. Do not add honey or any form of sugar into these drinks, as they will spike the insulin hormone and knock you out of ketosis. You can add a small amount of xylitol or stevia if you wish, these are natural sweeteners which have a low glycaemic index. If you wish to consume alcoholic drinks, only do so occasionally as it will prevent fat burning for 2-3 days. The liver must burn away alcohol before it can use fat for fuel. Vodka, Whisky and other spirits can be drunk on a rare occasion as they contain a very low amount of carbohydrates, however, they should be avoided if you are serious about your weight loss. Alcohol also depletes vitamins in the body, kills liver cells, brain cells and causes many other health problems, so please be aware of this. Diet sodas should also be avoided as these contain aspartame and other artificial sweeteners which can stimulate insulin.