The health benefits of ginseng extract.
1. Ginseng is a root which has been used as a natural medicine for thousands of years in Chinese medicine.
2. The roots, leaves and stems of the plant are used to make herbal teas and contain special compounds which heal the body from within.
3. There are different varieties of this plant, the most widely used is Panax ginseng, but there are also American, and Siberian varieties.
4. Many people take ginseng for anxiety, as it an adaptogen. This helps the body to manage stress by lowering stress hormone (cortisol) levels.
5. Studies show that red ginseng extract can help those suffering with eczema as it lowers inflammation around the skin cells.
6. You can purchase ginseng capsules online and in health food stores. Taking this daily helps the body to adapt to exercise and helps sore muscles to heal and build more quickly.
7. Drinking ginseng tea, or taking a supplement also increases cognitive function and helps you to think more clearly. It improves the health of brain cells and improves mood, memory and behaviour.
8. Nowadays there is a high use of ginseng for men, as it treats erectile dysfunction and sexual problems. The compounds within the herb protect the body against oxidative stress and open up the blood vessels.
9. If you suffer from a lack of motivation and find yourself moving slowly throughout the day, you can consider using ginseng for energy. It has been shown to boost mood and increase strength and vitality.
10. Those who have a low immune system due to surgery or cancer should consider taking ginseng daily. It has been shown in studies to boost immunity and protect the body from further damage. It also increases the survival rate after surgery by up to 38 per cent.
11. The herb contains compounds known as Ginsenosides. These act as antioxidants and can reduce the risk of cancer by 16 per cent. It can also reduce symptoms when undergoing chemotherapy.
12. American and Asian ginseng has been shown to increase the health of the pancreas for those with diabetes. It reduces insulin resistance and helps to manage blood sugar levels.
13. This is also useful for those who are trying to lose weight. Keeping stable blood sugar levels reduces the bodies need for insulin, the fat-storing hormone.
14. It is recommended to use ginseng for 2-3 months at a time and then abstain from using it for another 6 months. This makes the herb more effective and reduces the risk of any side effects.
15. Ginseng should not be used long term as it has been shown to have side effects in some people when used for longer than 6 months.