10 Natural Home Remedies for Heartburn
If you have ever felt a gnawing, burning sensation in your chest or throat after eating a large or greasy meal, then you probably know the discomfort of heartburn. It is a common symptom, caused by stomach contents spilling back up into the esophagus. The stomach has a lining to protect it from acid, but the esophagus does not. Heartburn is a common problem for many people. This is where acid can be felt in the chest with a painful burning sensation. Over the counter drugs for heartburn can be unhealthy when used long term. The good news is that there are many natural ways to get rid of this painful problem.
Let’s take a look at some of the best home remedies for heartburn
1. Baking Soda Water Baking soda is an ancient remedy used by the ancient Egyptians, Greek and Romans. Simply add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda to 250ml of cold water. Stir well and drink. This soon settles the digestive system and neutralises the acid causing the pain.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar Heartburn is caused by acid reflux, where acid leaks up into the oesophagus causing the burning sensation. Drinking a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in 500ml of water before meals help the food to break down and cures the problem at its root.
3. Hot Water A simple solution to treating many stomach related problems is sipping hot water. The heat soothes and washes down acid to get rid of the pain. It also helps your stomach to digest more effectively.
4. Cinnamon Using fresh spices such as Ceylon Cinnamon to flavour your food has the effect of boosting digestion and preventing heartburn in the first instance.
5. Calendula Flower Tea You can purchase dried calendula flower to make a herbal tea. This calms the muscles in the oesophagus and helps to close the valve which is allowing acid to leak upwards
6. Chamomile Tea This popular herbal tea choice should be drinking between meals 3-4 times per day. This relieves inflamed mucous membranes in your digestive system.
7. Pineapple Juice Drinking fresh pineapple juice after meals reduce heartburn due to the Bromelain enzymes it contains. This helps to control the hydrochloric acid levels in your stomach.
8. Bananas Eat a banana if you have heartburn as this works as a natural antacid in the stomach. These wonderful fruits also protect the stomach from ulcers.
9. Wheatgrass Juice Powder Drinking a shot of wheatgrass juice in the morning heals the digestive tract and provides a great range of nutrients to help the body heal.
10. Basil Leaves 2-3 leaves can be chewed to relieve heartburn, as well as combating gas and nausea. These are also excellent for flavouring delicious soups.
As you can see, there is a great range of natural remedies which you can use to get rid of heartburn. Try to eat a diet filled with leafy greens and natural sources of food regularly. This will keep your body healthy and prevent acid reflux long term.