The Top 15 Essential Oils for Relaxation
Nowadays people are more stressed and anxious than ever before. This is caused by the many problems in the modern lifestyle. Stress is caused by eating the wrong foods, diseases, work pressures, people and the business of modern life. The good news is that there are essential oils which can be used to relieve stress and tension in the body. Essential oils can be used in oil burners or diffusers to release calming aromatic compounds into the room. This calm the central nervous system and have been shown to have positive health benefits on the human body. Let’s take a look at some of the best essential oils for relaxation.
1. Lavender: One of the most popular essential oils used to restore the nervous system and relieve restlessness. The fragrant flowery aroma is often used to relieve stress and reduce nervous tension.
2. Ylang: Ylang This is a wonderful herb that is used in oils, incense sticks and massage products. It is known for lowering high blood pressure, relieving tension and stress.
3. Frankincense: An exotic essential oil which encourages feelings of inner peace and calmness. This is useful for reducing tension headaches and slowing down the breathing rate.
4. Bergamot: This wonderful oil has the ability to help you sleep and treat insomnia. It also reduces feelings of frustration and anger.
5. Rose: This is a very uplifting essential oil used for relieving anxiety and stress. It is very popular in helping with grief, panic attacks and shock. Rose is an inviting and warm fragrance.
6. Vanilla: Vanilla oil provides a warm and comforting aroma which can help to improve the clarity of thought. It’s a natural antidepressant and helps you to sleep comfortably at night.
7. Vetiver: This is a tranquil oil which helps you to feel grounded, reassured and stabilized. It works to reduce hyperactivity and jitteriness by calming the central nervous system.
8. Jasmine: Jasmine is a lovely flowery oil which creates a warm, inviting and cheerful feeling. Studies show that this can help you to manage stress by uplifting the mood. 9. Myrrh An oil which is commonly paired with frankincense, myrrh oil helps to body to reduce the stress hormone cortisol. It can trigger positive neurotransmitters in the brain.
10. Rosemary: If you have to study often or work in an office, rosemary oil is excellent to burn during the day to day activities. It can improve concentration and focus, which reduces frustration and stress.
11. Chamomile Many people drink chamomile tea, but the essential oil works just as well. This peaceful and calming scent reduces overthinking, worry and anxiety. We highly recommend burning this before bedtime for a relaxing night’s sleep.
12. Violet: This oil has a strong positive aroma which brightens the mood and lifts negativity. A positive boost is often needed to relieve stress and tension.
13. Patchouli: Patchouli is very popular in aromatherapy and creates a grounding and balancing sensation in the brain. The mind and body may then relax by calming down strong emotions.
14. Valerian: This is an oil used since ancient times for its mild sedative effects. It helps to trigger a deeper relaxation for switching off an overactive mind at night.
15. Jatamansi: Last but by no means least, jatamansi oil is superb for creating states of deep relaxation. It is used in Ayurvedic medicine for relief of anxiety and depression.
As you can see there are many essential oils that can be used for relaxation. Aromatherapy is becoming more and more popular to relieve tension and stress in the body and mind. The experience can also be fun and exciting as there are hundreds of different oils you can try. You can also mix a few drops of your favourite essential oils with some coconut oil, and apply to the temples and skin. These scents are also found in massage oils to deepen the calming effects of this practice.