A list of foods that make you fat, and some extra tips and advice. In modern times, many people struggle to control their weight and become fat and unhealthy. This is a common problem and is caused by eating the wrong kinds of foods which do not have the right nutrients. Let’s take a look at some of the worst foods that make you fat,
1. White Rice: White rice has been stripped of its healthy fibre and antioxidants. This causes you to feel hungry shortly after eating it as it is mostly carbohydrates. Switch to brown rice as a healthier alternative.
2. Soda: Soda drinks are filled with calories, caffeine, and sugar and contain no nutrients at all. These cause insulin resistance in the body which leads to fat especially around the stomach. Even diet sodas contain harmful chemicals such as phosphoric acid which prevents the bones from absorbing calcium.
3. Bread: Bread contains lots of gluten which causes bloating and problems with digestion. The starches slow the breakdown of the food and cause your body to use more insulin and produce more sugar. Your body begins to crave sugar and will, therefore, give you urges towards bread and other flour-based foods.
4. Cakes, Cookies, Crackers, Biscuits, Pancakes, Waffles etc… Just like bread, these foods contain refined flour which turns directly to sugar in the body. This makes them highly addictive. Sugar is often added, making these foods even worse. Sugar quickly turns into fat when it is not needed for energy.
5. French Fries & Chips: The starch from the potatoes turns to fat quickly especially as fries are cooked in unhealthy vegetable oils. The high temperature also fills the food with the chemical acrylamide, which has been linked to obesity and cancer.
6. Dried Fruit: The high amount of sugar found in dried fruit makes them delicious and causes you to eat lots which can lead to weight gain. Fresh fruits contain water which fills you up and helps you to digest the fruit naturally. Switch to low sugar fresh fruit such as strawberries.
7. Breakfast Cereal: Most breakfast cereals contain high carbohydrates and sugars. This turns quickly to fat and causes you to crave even more carbs throughout the day. Get your fibre from fresh raw vegetables and salad leaves. For breakfast east low carb oatmeal, or a cooked breakfast with meat, eggs and healthy fats to keep you full and energised. (No Bread.)
8. Pasta: This popular food contains hardly any nutrients or fibre as the flour it has been made with is highly processed. Pasta sauces are also often very unhealthy, creating a very high-calorie meal. Switch to whole grain pasta to feel fuller, or remove from the diet entirely to lose fat.
9. Salad Dressings: Many people eat salads to lose weight which is excellent, however many dressings contain high fructose corn syrup and other additives that make you fat. Look for healthy ranch dressings and balsamic vinaigrette with extra virgin olive oil as an alternative.
10. Chocolate The healthiest chocolates to eat taste very bitter and have a high cocoa content. Sweeter chocolates such as milk or white contain harmful sugar and chemical additives. Switch to fair trade chocolate with 70 per cent cocoa or more for a healthier alternative.
11. Vegetable Oil: Vegetable oil is filled with trans fats. These are the unhealthy variety which causes you to gain weight. It also causes inflammation throughout the body and can make many medical problems worse such as arthritis. Switch to a healthier oil such as extra virgin olive oil, extra virgin coconut oil or butter from grass-fed cows.
12. Microwave Popcorn: This type of popcorn contains higher amounts of sugars and unhealthy oil additives which can cause a fatty liver. The bags they come in also have chemicals which are harmful. Switch to stove cooked fresh popcorn with a small amount of oil.
13. Flavoured Yoghurt: Many people believe flavoured yoghurt is healthy, but it contains a lot of sugar which turns directly into fat in the body. It often has more sugar than ice cream. Instead, eat plain Greek yoghurt with low carb berries such as strawberries.
When you begin to eat foods filled with nutrients, you will be less likely to crave many of the foods which we have shared today. This is because your body will be getting the vitamins, minerals and nutrition that it needs, and you will not feel as hungry. Extra Advice A diet with healthy fats is essential to provide you with the nutrients you need and to keep you energised without the need for sugar. Healthy fats do not cause weight gain, as the body turns them into ketones for energy. It is usually the sugars and flour-based foods that the body quickly stores as belly fat. Adding an avocado to your meals is a healthy way to stay full and have fewer food cravings when trying to lose weight. Also, 15-20 minutes of exercise that makes your heart pump faster each day is a great way to speed up your metabolism and shift fat quickly.