A list of healthy adaptogen herbs for hormone balance. Many women and men suffer from hormone imbalances caused by junk foods, toxins and nutrient deficiencies. The good news is that there are many adaptogenic herbs that you can take to help balance our hormones and boost the health of the glands. Adaptogens are plants or herbs which help your body adapt to all kinds of stress, and even out the bodies chemistry.
Here is a list of the best 10 adaptogen herbs in the world.
1. Ginseng: Two of the best adaptogen herbs in the world are called Panax Ginseng and Siberian Ginseng. These naturally boost energy levels, help to balance blood sugars, calm the body from stress and help to fight diabetes by supporting healthy insulin levels. In men, ginseng is also very helpful for treating erectile dysfunction.
2. Holy Basil, This is a very common cooking herb also known as tulsi. This can be used in many delicious recipes to add flavour and can help to fight hormonal acne, hypothyroidism, blood sugar problems and adrenal fatigue. It is also used to fight off coughs and infections and relieving headaches.
3. Rhodiola Also known as “golden root”, Rhodiola is another amazing adaptogenic herb which helps your body adapt to chemical, physical and environmental stress. It contains rosavin, a natural chemical which balances the stress hormone cortisol. People also take this to ward off depression, improve brain function, and burn off visceral belly fat.
4. Ashwagandha: This is an ancient Indian herb used for over 2,500 hundred years for balancing hormones. Ashwagandha helps to balance thyroid hormones, brain chemistry, fight anxiety and depression and reduce inflammation in the body. This has been shown to help calm the adrenal glands to reduce the stress hormone called cortisol and also help the body to protect against diseases.
Best Adaptogens for Hormone Balance
5. Maca Root: This is a cruciferous vegetable which comes from the high Andes mountains of Peru. You can purchase this in powder form and it can be blended into superfood smoothies to support hormone balance; especially in women with heavy periods, PMS and menstrual pain. This is also a great adaptogen to use during menopause.
6. Cordyceps Mushrooms: These are one of the most effective disease-fighting adaptogens, which are often used to fight colds, coughs, liver damage, stress and free radical damage. This is a medicinal fungus which also supports healthy adrenal glands, reducing cortisol naturally and is also used in some cancer therapies.
7. Schisandra is a red adaptogen berry which is often used to boost liver function and supports healthy adrenal glands. It contains a range of different natural chemicals that help to balance the central nervous system, the endocrine glands, immunity, the cardiovascular system and digestion. Adaptogens like this are amazing “wellness” supplements.
8. Reishi Mushrooms: These are known as ‘the queen of mushrooms’ for helping to soothe and calm the nervous system. They contain natural compounds called beta-glucans that help to modulate the immune system, fight cancer, protect the liver and balance blood sugar levels. These are best added to soups, salads or delicious stir-fries.
9. Astragalus Root: This has been used in Chinese medicine for centuries as an adaptogen. This root is one of the most powerful immune boosters on the planet to help the body fight disease and adapt to stress. It is particularly useful for fighting candida overgrowth and raising energy levels. It also has amazing benefits for supporting a healthy heart and can be used to help fight off tumours.
10. Liquorice Root: Emotional stress can lead to stomach ulcers and digestive problems. Liquorice root is one of the best adaptogen herbs for healing ulcers and supports the stomach, small intestine and digestive system. It helps to relieve stomach cramps, heal leaky gut syndrome and protect against heartburn.
As you can see, we have selected 10 of the best adaptogen herbs in the world that you can use to support a healthy overall body. Remember that all of these herbs help to modulate the many glands in the body, like the adrenal glands, thyroid and pituitary gland. This helps them to produce the right level of hormones which help balance the bodies many different systems. Hormones are important for maintaining the right Ph levels in the different fluids of the body. They also control body temperature, blood pressure, blood sugars, pulse rate, lymph nodes, immunity, sleep patterns, mineral distribution, nerves, breathing patterns and much more. By eating nutritious foods and using adaptogenic herbs, the body is able to keep all of these factors in balance, so that you may live a healthy and happy life. If you suffer from chronic stress, emotional trauma or interrupted sleep then many of these herbs will help you.