The health benefits of lemon oil
1. Lemon essential oil is cold-pressed from the outer peel of the lemon fruit. It has a great range of practical uses and health benefits.
2. Due to its wonderful fragrance, lemon oil is often used in aromatherapy. The citrusy smell makes a room smell fresh, clean and inviting.
3. A few drops can be placed in an oil burner or diffuser to calm anxiety. Compounds within the lemon reduce the stress hormone cortisol when inhaled
4. Many people also use lemon oil for hyperpigmentation, as a natural treatment. It should be diluted with a carrier oil (such as olive oil) and applied to the skin daily.
5. This process also reduces acne, pimples, scars and redness. It naturally smooth’s out the skin tone over time and provides a natural healthy glow.
6. Lemon Oil should not be ingested or taken internally, as it is very powerful and is best used on external parts of the body.
7. You can add a few drops to your regular shampoo to destroy fungus which may be causing a flaky scalp. This is a fast and effective remedy, especially when combined with coconut oil.
8. It is also commonly used to clean grease, oil and dirt from guitar fretboards. This is used in particular on rosewood. Be sure to purchase a lemon oil which is marketed for guitars.
9. Pregnant mothers who suffer from morning sickness or those who have nausea can use this to feel better, as the fragrance calms the stomach.
10. You can add 20 drops of lemon oil to a little white vinegar to create a powerful and natural cleaning agent. This can be used around the home to destroy bacteria and clean surfaces.
11. Adding a few drops to your laundry will keep it smelling fresh when you let it sit in the washer for too long.
12. To make a wonderfully personalised soap, purchase some natural soap bars and melt them in a heavy bottom saucepan. Add a few drops of lemon oil, or make combinations with your favourite essential oils. Allow the mixture to slightly cool before remoulding. You can use a plastic cup or tub as long as it’s heatproof.
13. Mix 3 drops lemon oil with a teaspoon of baking soda and a teaspoon of honey. Apply this to the face for 10 minutes before washing. This will reduce pimples, acne, pigmentation and dryness.
14. In some care homes for the elderly, lemon oil is used as a form of aromatherapy. Lemon, Rosemary, Lavender and Orange essential oils can be used to improve cognitive function in the brain, especially for Alzheimer’s patients.
15. Jock itch is a common problem, where red sore areas can appear in the groin area. This is caused by a fungus and can be cured by massaging a few drops of lemon oil into the area daily. Be sure to dilute this with a little coconut oil.
16. The same method can be used to cure athlete’s foot. This is also caused by a fungus which triggers itching between the toes and on the soles.
You can purchase lemon essential oil in health food stores, aromatherapy shops or order online. This is very common and easy to find.