A list of healthy foods that lower estrogen naturally. High estrogen levels are a common problem nowadays in both men and women because we consume too many junk foods and soy products. Having too much of this hormone can lead to weight gain, inflammation, depression, type 2 diabetes, infertility and autoimmune diseases. For women in particular high estrogen can trigger heavy periods, breast tenderness, PMS, weight gain around the hips, and cysts on the ovaries and in the breasts. In men, high estrogen can cause female characteristics like female breast tissue, higher voice, loss of hair on the legs, belly fat, prostate enlargement and low testosterone.
In this article, we will highlight a list of healthy herbs and foods that lower estrogen naturally, in order to bring the hormones back into perfect balance.
1. Mushrooms: One of the main causes of high estrogen is having too much aromatase in the body. This is an enzyme which converts other hormones like androgens into estrogen. Mushrooms are rich in natural compounds which block aromatase which helps to lower the amount of estrogen in the body. The best types to block estrogen are shiitake, crimini, portobello and baby button mushrooms. We recommend adding these to delicious salads and healthy stir-fries.
2. Oily Fish: In order to lower estrogen levels naturally the body will need lots of omega 3 fatty acids. DHA and EPA are two omega 3-s found in fish like salmon, mackerel, herrings, sardines anchovies and cod liver oil capsules. Omega 3-s from these fish reduce inflammation in the liver, helping it to balance out your estrogen levels, and detoxify estrogen-mimicking toxins from the environment.
3. Cruciferous Vegetables to lower estrogen in Body: When it comes to balancing out hormones, cruciferous vegetables are the most important foods to eat in a human diet. Some of the best cruciferous vegetables are broccoli, cauliflower, kale, arugula, collard greens, beet tops, asparagus, cabbage and Brussels sprouts amongst many others. Cruciferous vegetables are rich in a compound called indole-3-carbiol which the body converts into a chemical called DIM. DIM restores a healthy hormone balance by detoxifying bad estrogens from the body and raising good estrogens bringing everything into balance. These also help to protect the body from cancer due to their high concentration of plant-based nutrients. You can also purchase a 200mg DIM supplement online or in health food stores to take on a daily basis.
4. Stinging Nettle Root: This is one of the best herbal treatments for balancing hormones including estrogen and testosterone. Men with high estrogen levels often drink stinging nettle root tea as a herbal treatment for prostate enlargement and poor urine flow. This is also very helpful for reducing heavy cramping and periods in women and treating urinary tract infections. You can also get stinging nettle root in capsule form to take as a daily supplement.
5. Fermented Foods: One of the easier ways to help lower estrogen and balance the hormones is eating foods rich in probiotics. Fermented foods support the growth of friendly bacteria in the body which helps to restore hormone balance and support the glands which control them. The best-fermented foods to consume are Sauerkraut, Kombucha Tea, Natto, Kefir, Kimchi, Pickles, and Sugar-Free Yoghurt. These foods also improve digestion, helping your body to absorb more nutrients from other foods that you eat.
6. Herbal Teas to lower estrogen in Body: Studies have found that green tea contains polyphenols that block aromatase. This helps to prevent other hormones being converted into estrogen. It is also loaded with chlorophyll which gives it it’s green colour. This helps the body detoxify harmful chemicals, purify the blood and strengthen the liver. We also recommend wheatgrass juice, milk thistle and dandelion root tea for getting rid of excess estrogens in the body
7. Citrus Fruits: Lemons, oranges, grapefruits, pomelos and limes are rich in phytochemicals that help to protect the body against damage from high estrogen. These fruits also help to inhibit the aromatase enzyme and reduce the risk of breast cancer, ovarian cancer and prostate cancer. It is important to consume these fresh and avoid bottled juices. Bottles juices are pasteurised which destroys many of their natural enzymes and vitamin c, and also they raise blood sugars too high. Citrus fruits are eaten in their natural form help the stomach to absorb more nutrients from foods which supports the health and wellness of the entire body.
8. Supplements: There are many different supplements that you can take to help balance the hormones by raising good estrogen and lowering bad estrogens. Ashwagandha Root is an ancient remedy used for treating estrogen dominance and reducing menopause symptoms like hot flashes and night sweats. This is an adaptogen which also helps the body to adapt to stress. Calcium D-glucarate is another supplement that you can take to help prevent breast, prostate and colon cancer. This helps the body to detoxify itself of harmful chemicals, endocrine disrupters and steroid hormones.
Chasteberry, also known as Vitex is a powerful herb for balancing hormone levels, especially when it comes to boosting fertility. Studies show that this can improve prostate health in men, and menstrual health in women. Maca Root is available as a superfood powder which can be blended into smoothies and added to juices. This also helps to balance estrogen especially for women in perimenopause. As you can see, there are many foods, herbs and supplements that you can take to lower estrogen and restore your hormone balance. Another way to lower estrogen is by lowering your body fat percentage if you are overweight. Fat cells make estrogen so having too much body fat leads to hormone imbalances and a higher risk of cancer. We recommend following a healthy keto or Mediterranean diet in order to burn off those extra pounds. Regular exercise has also been shown to reduce symptoms of high estrogen, especially in women and overweight men. Anything that gets the heart pumping such as running or cycling will improve liver function to help filter out excess hormones. Getting at least 7-9 hours of sleep each night helps to raise melatonin and is very important for a healthy pituitary gland. This is the master gland which controls all other glands and keeps the hormones in balance. Stop consuming products which contain unfermented soy, such as soy oil and soy proteins often found in weight loss products. Soy is an endocrine disrupter which contains estrogen-mimicking compounds that trigger major hormone imbalances. As a final note, be assured that the foods listed today do not lower your natural estrogen levels too low, they simply help to restore balance to the different types of estrogen hormones in the body.