A list of healthy foods that reverse insulin resistance.
Insulin resistance is a condition which occurs in many adults and children. This is where the bodies cells reject insulin, a hormone made by the pancreas. Insulin is supposed to take energy and nutrients into the cells of the body, however, if you are insulin resistant, then this cannot happen. The cells are therefore starving which will lead to sugar cravings, low mood, feeling lightheaded, weight gain and poor overall health.
In this article, we will share with you a list of healthy foods that reverse insulin resistance naturally. These can help in balancing blood sugars, reversing type 2 diabetes, pre-diabetes and for healthy weight loss.
1. Avocado: The avocado is of the most nutrient-dense superfoods on the planet. It contains healthy fats and high amounts of potassium which reverses insulin resistance. It also contains phytonutrients which help to keep blood sugar levels under control.
2. Chia Seeds: These seeds are one of the best sources of fibre, which helps to control blood sugar levels. This lowers the need for insulin in the body and therefore allows more nutrients into the cells. They are also high in essential fatty acids and calcium.
3. Salmon: Wild-caught salmon is one of the best foods to reverse insulin resistance and boost brain health. Oily fish like this are rich in Omega 3 fatty acids which reduces inflammation and helps to heal the body at the cellular level.
4. Turmeric: This is one of the healthiest spices on the planet and contains an active ingredient called curcumin. Curcumin heals and protects the beta cells in the pancreas, which regulates insulin levels and reverses insulin resistance naturally.
5. Kale: To heal insulin resistance and blood sugar problems, we must consume lots of healthy leafy greens. Kale contains more nutrients than most other cruciferous vegetables and is a key source of potassium.
6. Beet Tops: These are another leafy green which can go alongside kale in healthy salads. The high potassium content in these leaves feeds the cells and allows more nutrients to be absorbed. This makes you feel more energised and rapidly gets rid of cravings for junk foods.
7. Eggs: We highly recommend eating eggs every single day to help control your blood sugars. These are rich in protein which helps to stabilise hunger and feed the cells. They contain all the building blocks of life, such as omega 3 and b vitamins to reverse insulin resistance.
8. Onions: One of the key nutrients needed to reverse insulin resistance of the cells is chromium. Onions are a wonderful source of this. Those with pre-diabetes and diabetes always have low levels of this mineral. Onions also contain sulphur which detoxifies the liver.
9. Coconut Oil: Switch from hydrogenated vegetable oils and start cooking with extra virgin coconut oil. This contains MCT’s (medium-chain triglycerides) which boost energy and mental focus. MCT’s provide energy for the body, reduce insulin resistance are important for diabetics.
10. Cheese: Cheese from grass-fed cows is a wonderful way to supply the body with fat-soluble vitamins. A standard cheddar will not spike blood sugars and can actually help to improve insulin sensitivity due to its Vitamins.
11. Walnuts: These healthy nuts are rich in Iodine, Selenium and other trace minerals which heal the glands and improve hormone balance. Taking the stress of the endocrine system can help the body to heal insulin resistance, and begin allowing more energy and nutrients into the cells.
12. Bitter Melon: You can get bitter melon in the form of a capsule, dried powder or the fresh fruit. This is a unique food which has natural chemicals that act like insulin. These compounds help the cells to accept energy, which heals insulin resistance.
13. Flaxseeds: Grinding or blending flaxseeds into smoothies is the best way to release their fatty acids. These natural fats lower inflammation throughout the body to improve cell and digestive health.
14. Bone Broth: Bone broth is made from boiling bones for long periods, releasing their collagen. This drink is rich in glycine, an amino acid that helps to keep sugars low, which in turn lowers insulin and resistance.
15. Cinnamon: Studies show that Cinnamon may be the most powerful spice for lowering insulin resistance. It helps to strengthen insulin so that less is needed in the body. This is useful for preventing pre-diabetes from developing into type 2 diabetes.
16. Nutritional Yeast: We highly recommend that you take nutritional yeast in powdered or capsule form. This is the best source of the B vitamin complex, which is vitally important in reversing insulin resistance and calming the nervous system.
As you can see there are many natural foods that help in reversing insulin resistance. We highly recommend following an intermittent fasting plan. This is where you eat all of your calories in a five-hour window during the day. This helps the cells to accept more insulin, which allows them to accept more energy and nutrients. Eating less often gives your body a chance to absorb the nutrients that you consume, as it would in nature. You must also reduce your carbohydrate intake if you wish to fully reverse this condition. Follow a healthy ketogenic diet plan to do this, also known as keto. Remember that prolonged insulin resistance leads to all kinds of diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease, arthritis, gout, hormonal imbalances and many more. Eat leafy green salads every single day, as these supply lots of potassium to get rid of sugar and junk food cravings.