A list of low sweeteners for keto diet
When trying to lose weight it is important to cut out sugar from the diet. The body has to burn through sugar before it can access its fat reserves, so we must switch to alternative sweeteners. IF you are following a low carb diet such as keto, then you may be wondering which are best sweeteners to use in the place of sugar.
In this article, we share a list of sweeteners that you may consider using.
1. Stevia: This is one of the most popular alternative sweeteners and comes from an Indian herb known as the stevia plant. This has a value of 0 on the glycaemic index and works well in low carb recipes or teas.
2. Xylitol: This tastes nearly identical to sugar but is much lower on the glycaemic index. This is a sugar alcohol (polyol) which is extracted from the wood of birch trees. It does not cause a high spike in blood sugar and can be used on keto. Be warned that this is toxic to dogs, so keep this away from your pets.
3. Erythritol: This is another excellent sweetener which is 0 on the glycaemic index. It is another sugar alcohol like xylitol but is made from fermented fructose. It is one of the best keto sweeteners but does not taste as strongly as xylitol.
4. Monk fruit: This sweetener is one of the healthiest alternative sugars and contains unique antioxidants called mogrosides. These make it taste 100-250 times sweeter than regular sugar without the harmful effects. It does have a slight aftertaste, however, works well when mixed with erythritol in baking.
5. Chicory Root Sweeteners This can be purchased from a variety of different brands and works well in low carb pastries. It has a slightly bitter aftertaste yet can work well when mixed with other ingredients. This sweetener is less likely to cause gas or intestinal discomfort.
As you can see, there are a fair few options to use in your low carb recipes or to add sweetness to your drinks. These have a low impact on insulin in the body, unlike regular table sugar and fructose from fruits. Try not to overdo it with these sweeteners as they can cause a little diarrhoea in some people. Sometimes it takes the body a little time to adjust to the changes and using new ingredients. Remember that the key goal of a low carb diet is to lower insulin levels in the body. Keep your carbohydrates below 20-30g per day and you will lose weight very quickly and lower inflammation throughout the body.