A list of 10 supplements for keto dieting.
When following a ketogenic diet you are trying to improve the health of your body in a natural way. Living on a low carb diet can cause side effects at the beginning as your body has to adapt to run on fat. The good news is that there are many natural supplements which can help you to get into ketosis quickly.
In this article, We recommend some of the best supplements for improving the health of your body. These will reduce insulin resistance and allow your cells to absorb nutrients as the body would in nature. These supplements can also be taken when following an intermittent fasting plan.
1. Electrolyte Powder: A good quality electrolyte powder supplies the body with important minerals such as potassium, sodium and magnesium. The body burns through these quickly when losing weight so it’s important to keep these high. This provides a massive boost in energy levels and the potassium fights insulin resistance.
2. Nutritional Yeast: This is the best natural source of the Vitamin B complex. It lowers stress levels in the body and calms the central nervous system, making you feel more relaxed. It also improves sleep quality, supports healthy digestion, skin, hair and nails on keto. Check the bottle to make sure that your capsules or flakes have not been fortified with synthetic vitamins.
3. Super Greens: You can purchase a dried blend of vegetables In powdered or capsule form. These boost Vitamin C and potassium levels rapidly. This lowers inflammation in the body and helps you to get into a deep state of ketosis and fat burning. Look for a blend which contains cruciferous vegetables as these detoxify the cells in the body.
4. Pink Himalayan Salt: Salt or sodium is very important on a ketogenic diet as it one of the main electrolytes. Himalayan salt comes from an ancient seabed within the mountains in Pakistan. This contains a vast amount of trace minerals which fight diseases in the body at the cellular level.
5. Krill Oil: This powerful marine oil will boost your intake of healthy omega 3. This is one of the most stable forms of fish oil and will reduce brain fog and enhance memory. It also reduces pain for those with arthritis, balances hormone levels and is general all-round supplement. You can purchase this in capsule form.
6. Sea Kelp Capsules: Sea kelp is one of the best natural sources of trace minerals that the body needs to function at its best. Many of our foods are lacking in trace minerals due to over-farming and depletion in the soils. Sea kelp also provides iodine one of the most important minerals for healing the thyroid gland. Take this in the morning to boost energy levels.
7. Valerian Root: In order to lose weight and get healthy you must be getting at least 8 hours of sleep per night. Valerian root supports the health of the adrenal gland and helps you to fall asleep at night. This also works in lowering anxiety and stress levels naturally.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar: The stomach needs to be strong and healthy so that it may break down foods and absorb nutrients. Apple Cider Vinegar can be taken in capsule form or as a liquid. This heals insulin resistance, speeds up weight loss and enhances overall health. Take 1-2 capsules before a meal to aid digestion.
9. Cod Liver Oil: Cod liver oil should only be purchased if it is extra virgin and has not been heating treated. We recommend Icelandic for the best possible health benefits. This is one of the best sources of Vitamin A for improving the health of the eyes and reducing insulin resistance. It also has vitamin D which boosts mood and helps in losing weight.
10. Ox Bile: People who have a sluggish gallbladder or liver issues cannot produce enough bile. Bile is made in the body and is used to break down fat from foods that we eat. Taking a supplement of ox bile after a meal helps to resolve digestive problems such as diarrhoea and constipation.
As you can see there is a range of natural supplements you can take during keto or a low carb diet to boost your health. We recommend drinking a good quality mineral water when following a ketogenic plan, as the body requires more fluids. You will also need to consume a healthy amount of natural fats from foods such as avocado, grass-fed butter or oily fish. These provide the fat-soluble vitamins that the body needs.