A list of healthy brain foods for memory and concentration.
Nowadays many people are suffering from poor memory and a lack of concentration. This is sometimes known as “brain fog”. This can be caused by many different issues such as a poor diet, sleep disorders, hormone imbalances or insulin resistance. The good news is that there are many healthy foods for memory improvement which will help the brain to function at its best. Eating these regularly and lowering junk foods will boost cognition and help you to achieve mental clarity.
1. Raw Apple Cider Vinegar: When we struggle to remember things, it is often because we have something wrong with our digestive system. Apple cider vinegar helps the body to break down foods and absorb more vitamins and minerals. This naturally boosts brain function. Take a teaspoon in a glass of water with each meal, or powdered capsules are available from health food stores.
2. Avocado: The avocado is one of the healthiest fruits on the planet and is rich in healthy natural fats. These contain Vitamin K which protects the brain against strokes. Low or high blood sugar often causes brain fog, however, avocados help to balance blood sugar levels naturally.
3. Salmon: Salmon is one of the healthiest sources of Omega 3 fatty acids which helps the body to build new brain cells. The vitamin D in salmon improves your mood making you feel calmer and focused, by enhancing the central nervous system. Look for wild-caught salmon for the best effects.
4. Blueberries: Studies show that blueberries lower the risk of neurological disorders such as Alzheimer’s or dementia. The high amount of Vitamin C lowers inflammation in the brain and boosts cognitive function. This will help your brain cells to communicate with each other at a faster rate.
5. Celery: Eating 3 stalks of celery will help you to fall asleep at night. Celery contains a natural chemical which regulates blood pressure and calms the central nervous system. Getting lots of sleep improves your ability to remember things, and helps you to focus during the day. 8 hours of Sleep is essential for a healthy brain.
6. Krill Oil Capsules: You can purchase small red capsules containing Krill Oil. This is one of the healthiest marine oils which contains DHA and EPA. These are the building blocks of the brain and will help you focus, feel more relaxed and absorb more information. Krill oil also lowers inflammation in the brain.
7. Beet Tops: The leaves of beetroots also known as beet tops are some of the healthiest salad leaves that you can eat. Insulin resistance in the body is a condition where energy is not being delivered properly to the brain cells. Beet tops are one of the highest natural sources of potassium which lowers insulin resistance. This allows more fuel and nutrients to go into brain cells, making them healthier.
8. Eggs: Eggs contain an important nutrient called choline. The body uses this to create healthy neurotransmitters called acetylcholine. These boost memory power and help to regulate mood within the brain. They also contain B vitamins which prevent depression and anxiety. 10. Pecan Nuts: Pecans are a superfood which contains more antioxidants than any other tree nut. These reduce damage in the brain caused by free radicals with age. Eating a few pecans every day can improve your memory, concentration, focus and reduce the risk of mental disorders.
9. Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Using this oil instead of vegetable oils serves as a fast-acting brain booster. The powerful antioxidants and polyphenols in olive oil improve learning, memory and can even reverse brain damage. Healthy fats such as this help to build brain cells boost serotonin and dopamine hormones.
10. Rosemary: This wonderful herb has a delicious flavour and a wonderful aroma. Adding rosemary to your food helps to protect the brain from neurodegeneration. The carnosic acid it contains protects the brain from free radicals and brain diseases.
11. Turmeric: An ancient spice used for thousands of years for healing a great range of medical conditions. Throughout history, turmeric has been found to reduce inflammation throughout the entire body, especially the brain. Lower inflammation leads to a higher functioning mind.
12. Broccoli Sprouts: 3-4 day old broccoli sprouts are some of the healthiest vegetables for detoxifying the liver. These remove toxins from the liver which can cause deficiencies in the brain. Many people also eat these to prevent the spreading of cancer cells, due to the sulforaphane they contain.
13. Black Coffee: Coffee contains polyphenols and caffeine which helps to improve mood and enhance memory function. It is important to have no more than 2 cups per day, as too much caffeine can have the opposite effect. Drinking small amounts per day helps you to feel more alert, focused and able to process information better.
As you can see, there are many foods that you can eat for memory improvement and to boost the brains health. We highly recommend taking sugar out of the diet. This will rapidly improve your cognition and mental function. Eating lots of sugary foods causes insulin resistance, where nutrients can no longer be absorbed properly into the brain. Look for hidden sugars found on food labels and avoid these at all costs. You should also be getting at least 8 hours of sleep per night to reset the body and balance hormones in the brain. Stay hydrated and drink a good quality mineral water throughout the day. The minerals act as electrolytes which provide mental clarity.