The health benefits and uses of calendula flower.
1. The calendula flower comes from the marigold family and has some fantastic health benefits for the human body.
2. These beautifully yellow/orange flowers are grown all over the world and are very easy to find.
3. Calendula flowers are often used to make herbal teas, in either fresh or dried form. These have a soothing effect on the body and can heal internal tissues.
4. Calendula flower tea works particularly well at lowering inflammation within the mucus membranes. The lungs, throat and digestive system are soothed when drinking this often.
5. The flowers themselves can be mashed into a paste and applied to the skin to treat many painful problems, such as Eczema, insect stings and skin irritation.
6. They also have a cooling effect on sunburnt skin and hydrate cracked and dry sore nipples for nursing mothers.
7. Many ancient cultures used these flowers in forms of traditional medicine, especially for healing the digestive tract.
8. It was used primarily to cleanse and detoxify the liver and gallbladder, as it contains healthy carotenoids which work as internal healers.
9. During the American Civil War, calendula flowers were used on open wounds on the battlefields as they are antiseptic and prevent infection. They also help to stop the bleeding and promote fast healing.
10. The yellow and orange pigment within the flowers has been used to make traditional dyes for fabrics for thousands of years.
11. Calendula Oil can be made easily at home by soaking some freshly picked flowers in olive oil for 1 week. This oil can be topically applied to the skin to treat problems.
12. In herbal medicine, calendula oil has been used on patients with radiation dermatitis, with positive effects on healing the skin.
13. These flowers are considered sacred in India and have been used to decorate the statues of Hindu deities since early times.
14. Even the Romans and Greeks used golden calendula flowers in all kinds of rituals and ceremonies for their beauty.
15. You can also purchase calendula cream, dried calendula, liquid calendula extract or capsules.