The health benefits of breadfruit leaves
1. Breadfruit leaves have been used in Asia for thousands of years as natural medicine. They contain active compounds which can heal the human body.
2. Modern studies show that breadfruit leaves can help in reducing high blood pressure and treating those with cardiovascular disease. Breadfruit contains polyphenols and amino acids which help to heal the arteries by reducing plaque and cholesterol.
3. They also contain Acetylcholine, which helps to strengthen the heart muscle and regulate the heartbeat.
4. Breadfruit leaves are made into an herbal tea and drank once per day to heal these conditions.
How To Make Breadfruit Leaf Tea
Harvest dark green breadfruit leaves directly from the tree. Wash these well and dry them out in the sun or using a dehydrator. Grind to a fine powder using a pestle and mortar or a blender. Mix 1 tablespoon of ground breadfruit leaf powder with 1 litre of water. Add these to a pan and boil on medium heat until the liquid has reduced by half. Finally, add some more water to fill the pan back up to 1 litre. Allow the mixture to cool and drink 1 cup of this per day. You can add a little raw honey or stevia to remove the bitter taste if you wish. You can store this sealed in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. It is very important that you do not consume more than 1 cup of this tea per day, as it contains camphor which can cause health problems in large amounts. Pregnant or breastfeeding women should not drink this tea.
5. If you suffer from kidney stones then drinking breadfruit tea can help. It contains lots of potassium which binds to calcium in the urine and prevents stones from growing.
6. The potassium in these leaves reduces high uric acid levels for those who have gout or crystals in the joints.
7. The tea is also useful for reducing overall cholesterol levels if you suffer from heart issues.
8. The natural compounds found in breadfruit leaf tea will help the blood to flow freely around the body. This will also reduce inflammation in the legs and feet, such as swelling and water retention.
9. If you suffer from stress or anxiety, consider drinking this tea once per day. It is an excellent source of B vitamins which are calming to the mind and central nervous system.
10. It also helps with those who suffer from skin problems such as acne, pimples or dermatitis. It naturally detoxifies the body and has an anti-inflammatory effect on the skin.
11. As this tea helps in detoxing the body, it also may reduce the risk of age-related diseases such as cancer and macular degeneration.
12. The fruit of the plant is also highly nutritious and is eaten often in the Philippines, New Guinea and the Maluku islands.