The health benefits of blue butterfly pea tea and its uses.
1. Blue tea is a herbal drink that has been brewed for centuries in Southeast Asia. This Is also known as butterfly pea flower tea and is made by steeping butterfly pea flowers in hot water.
2. The flowers come from the plant known as Clitoria ternatea, also known as Asian pigeonwings, bluebellvine, blue tea or Darwin pea. These have some wonderful health benefits for the human body.
3. Blue tea contains some powerful antioxidants which strengthen the overall body. These help to strengthen the immune system and fight diseases and infections.
4. Drinking this often can also boost the health of the eyes. It contains an antioxidant called proanthocyanin, which increases blood flow to the eyes. This helps in treating blurred vision, dry eyes, glaucoma and retinal damage.
5. One of the most important benefits of blue tea is its anti-ageing properties. Like other herbal teas, it is rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants fight free radicals in the body which are the leading cause of premature ageing.
6. It is also rich in flavonoids which stimulate the production of collagen. Collagen helps your hair to grow healthier and less likely to break. It also improves skin health, eye health and helps to build cells in the body.
7. You can purchase a powdered form of blue tea to use in delicious recipes. Butterfly pea tea powder is often used in smoothie bowls to add vibrant colour and health benefits.
8. The rich colour pigments in this flower come from its anthocyanins. These are a type of flavonoid which are twice as powerful as vitamin C in boosting the immune system. Drinking blue tea can help protect the body against illnesses from bacteria, viruses and fungi.
9. If you suffer from a urinary tract infection or bladder infection then drinking this tea can help. Its anthocyanins and other nutrients flush the urinary system and destroy harmful bacteria. They also prevent bacteria from sticking to the walls of the bladder.
10. If you wish to keep your heart healthy then drinking herbal teas daily are recommended. Blue Tea fights oxidative stress on the heart and helps to keep blood pressure under control.
11. Blue tea contains acetylcholine a very important nutrient for brain health. In Ayurvedic medicine, this was used to enhance memory, recall and concentration. The acetylcholine boosts communication between neurons in the brain.
12. When making this tea, you simply add the flowers or powder to boiling water. Allow this to steep for 10-15 minutes and watch as the water becomes a light blue colour.
13. The colour of this tea changes depending on the Ph. Level of the water. Adding lemon juice makes the liquid a dark purple colour. It can even turn red when the water is acidic enough.
14. We recommend adding cinnamon, ginger, or lemongrass to impart a wonderful flavour and additional health benefits to the tea. You can also cool this drink in the refrigerator and add ice for a more refreshing drink.
15. A cup of blue tea drank between meals can also help to balance blood sugar levels. It contains properties which improve the health of the pancreas and other internal organs.
16. Stress and anxiety are the leading causes of disease and degradation of the human body. The antioxidants in blue tea help to relax the nervous system and calm the body. For this reason, herbal teas can effectively extend the human lifespan and boost overall mood and happiness.
17. You can make a very healthy lemonade by juicing lemons and adding water, crushed ice and stevia. Then simply infuse some butterfly pea leaves or powder to make blue lemonade. This makes for a vibrant and impressive drink.
18. Blue tea also contains quercetin which strengthens hair and skin cells. This prevents premature greying of the hair and improves skin elasticity for fewer wrinkles.
19. If you are looking to cleanse the body and lose weight then drinking this can help. It contains catechins which trigger thermogenesis. This is simply the heating of the body which helps you to burn more calories.
20. Cylotides found in the drink can also help in fighting cancer. They do this by disrupting the integrity of the membrane around the cancer cells.