The health benefits and uses of chamomile tea.
1. Chamomile tea is known as one of the most calming and soothing drinks in the world. It was originally used Ancient Egypt as a cure for fever. Drinking this every day has some excellent health benefits for the human body.
2. Chamomile flowers are taken from different daisy plants such the Chamaemelum nobile or Matricaria chamomilla. These can be used fresh or dried and are steeped in hot water to make a herbal tea.
3. Many people use chamomile tea for anxiety and as a powerful natural way to lower stress. Chamomile flowers release natural compounds into the water which calms the nervous system and make you feel relaxed. You can also apply chamomile oil to the temples to reduce anxiety.
4. The active compounds called chamazulene, apigenin, and bisabolol in chamomile tea are responsible for its calming effect. These also help to lift the mood, treat depression and will help you to sleep easier at night.
5. Chamomile tea is also an excellent source of antioxidants which reduce inflammation in the body by fighting the effects of free radicals. This naturally reduces pain and swelling and has an anti-ageing effect.
6. If you are trying to lose weight then it is recommended to drink herbal teas regularly. Chamomile tea helps to balance blood sugar levels and tap into your own body fat for energy. It reduces inflammation in the pancreas and helps you to break down more foods.
7. By healing the pancreas, chamomile can also help those who suffer from diabetes or pre-diabetes. Drinking the tea can aid in reducing dangerous spikes in blood glucose levels.
8. Women who suffer from painful menstrual cramps should consider drinking chamomile tea. It contains certain compounds that increase glycine in the body. This relieves muscle spasms, cramps and relaxes the nerves.
9. If you are suffering from a cold or have a blocked nose then you can make a steaming solution to unblock your nose and relieve a sore throat. Simply fill a bowl with hot water and add some chamomile and other healing herbs. Place a towel over your head and breathe in the steam to calm the sinuses and lungs.
10. There are ointments available which contain chamomile for treating cuts and wounds. Chamomile creams can be applied to the skin to promote faster healing. Studies also show that chamomile ointment is more effective at treating eczema and other skin conditions than hydrocortisone cream.
11. You can also purchase chamomile room sprays or use chamomile oil in diffusers or oil burners. These scents create a calming aroma in the room which helps to calm the body and mind.
12. Drinking chamomile tea and other herbal drinks like Matcha or Blue Tea is a great way to reduce arthritis pain in the joints, and also muscular pain in the back, legs, chest and arms.
13. It was historically used to destroy parasites in the body such as worms as Its natural chemicals can help the body to purge itself of these invaders
14. This drink also helps to soothe the digestive system and reduce problems such as heartburn, IBS, bloating, gas and constipation.
15. Be sure to avoid chamomile when driving or operating machinery, as it can make you relax and lose concentration. Use this for relaxation purposes and as a sleep aid at night.
16. If you suffer from kidney stones or gallstones then you should be consuming herbal teas like chamomile. It relaxes the urinary tract and allows stones to pass, and also reduces pain and tension in the organs of the body.
17. Chamomile also contains a natural compound called azulene which helps those who suffer from allergies. Azulene is a natural antihistamine and is very helpful for those with hay fever. German chamomile contains the most azulene.
18. Azulene oil is made from distilled chamomile and can be purchased online and in health stores. This is known as one of the best anti-ageing oils for the skin and is commonly used to treat skin problems like acne. It is also used to soothe the skin after a waxing session.
19. Many people prescribe chamomile for dogs in the form of skin creams and oral supplements. This is used to calm irritation of the skin, especially when taking the liquid extract of this flower.