The health benefits and uses of fig leaves.
1. The fig plant, known as ‘Ficus Carica’ produces the wonderful fig fruit which is a favourite all around the world. Figleaves have also been used as a natural medicine for thousands of years.
2. The plant itself is native to Western Asia and The Middle East but has been planted all over the world.
3. The leaves can be used as a natural medicine for those with diabetes. They contain naturally occurring compounds which reduces the need for insulin injections.
4. The Fig leaves are squeezed to release their juice, otherwise known as a fig leaf extract. This should be added to breakfast meals at the start of the day for those who require insulin injections. It will reduce the need for this, by improving the internal health of the body.
5. In some cultures, the leaves are very common to eat as part of a healthy salad, or side dish to compliment meat or fish.
6. Figleaves have also been shown to lower triglycerides in the blood. This helps to protect the heart and cardiovascular system.
7. They have also shown potential at fighting certain types of cancer cells. Animal studies have shown their ability to inhibit the growth and spreading of these cells.
8. Manganese is a very important trace mineral for the human body. It is used to maintain brain and nerve function. Fig leaves are an excellent source of this.
9. Fig leaf extract is often used to treat skin disorders such as eczema, psoriasis and vitiligo.
10. You can enjoy these same health-boosting effects by enjoying the benefits of fig leaf tea. This can be produced by steeping fig leaves in hot water and allowing the nutrients to seem into the water.