The health benefits of hibiscus tea or roselle.
1. Hibiscus tea is a herbal drink which can be drunk cold or hot. This is made from the flowers and red calyces from within the hibiscus flower.
2. This tea is also known as Roselle or Sorrel in some parts of the world and has a very tart flavour similar to cranberries.
3. Drinking this provides your body with some excellent health benefits such as helping to maintain healthy cholesterol levels, protecting the heart.
4. You can purchase hibiscus tea bags or hibiscus extract in powdered form from many health food stores. Water is added to make the drink.
5. The fibre within acts as a diuretic which helps to rid the body of toxins and aid digestion.
6. You can make a cold juice, commonly known as roselle juice. This is a mixture of sugar, water and hibiscus and is a great alternative to fizzy drinks.
7. The vitamins and minerals in hibiscus, work as an anti-depressant. Helping the body and mind to relax and release tension.
8. Hibiscus is also antibacterial and helps the body to fight off colds and infections. It boosts the immune system to prevent disease.
9. If you are suffering from a cold, hibiscus tea will break down the phlegm allowing you to breathe easier.
10. The tea has also been shown to lower high blood pressure, due to its calming properties. 11. Intestinal worms are also destroyed when drank often, however more powerful herbal cures should be used alongside this.
12. White hibiscus tea is also available in some countries and is favoured for its more extreme bitter flavour.
13. The tea can also be used cold as a natural moisturiser for the hair and scalp.