The health benefits of insulin plant, for diabetes and more.
1. The insulin plant is also known as Chamaecostus cuspidatus, fiery costus or spiral flag. This has been used for thousands of years in Ayurveda for diabetes.
2. In Siddha medicine, this insulin plant remedy is known as Kostum. The roots of the plant are used in herbal medicine and are cultivated in Kashmir and Himalayan Regions.
3. The leaves of the insulin plant are dried and used in Ayurveda, whilst the flowers are also edible and have a sweet flavour, excellent for salads.
4. For those suffering from diabetes, the leaves of the plant should be added to boiling water to create a herbal tea. This has been scientifically shown to lower blood glucose levels.
5. A tea can also be made with 1 teaspoon of dried insulin leaf powder. This should be drunk with meals to help manage blood sugar.
6. This insulin plant remedy should not be used long term. It is advised to use for only a short time in Ayurvedic medicine.
7. The insulin plant leaf tea also works to cleanse and detoxify the digestive tract. It can destroy harmful parasites and invaders.
8. It also helps to flush and detox the kidneys, getting rid of urinary tract infections or urinary issues. 9. They have also been shown to protect the liver from oxidation. The liver is the most important internal organ and should be routinely cared for with herbal remedies.
10. Gargling with a tea made from these leaves is effective at healing a sore throat very quickly. It destroys bacteria and lowers inflammation within the throat tissue.
11. Always discuss Ayurveda remedies with your doctor or Ayurvedic practitioner before use.