The health benefits of Mayana Leaves
1. Mayana leaves come from an ornamental plant in the mint family. This is commonly known as ‘coleus’ and has some excellent health benefits for the human body.
2. This plant originated in India and comes in different colours, ranging from dark green to red, purple and mixed varieties. The leaves are shaped like a heart with beautiful curves at the edges.
3. To enjoy their medicinal properties the leaves are boiled in hot water to make a herbal tea. This is often used to treat haemorrhoids, with an added pinch of turmeric.
4. The leaves of this plant contain eugenol, a powerful essential oil which acts as a natural pain killer. This can help to ease aching joints, back pain and headaches.
5. You can also use these to treat pimples and acne. Simply place a mixture of coleus leaves in a warm pan and heat delicately, but do not burn them. Gently cook these through on a low heat and then mash into a paste. Allow this to cool and apply to the skin for 5 minutes.
6. It is also used as a natural medicine for coughing. Mayana leaf tea is drunk to remove phlegm and mucus from the throat.
7. People also drink this tea to bring down fever and remove excess heat from the body. The stems and leaves of Coleus or Mayana are used in this remedy. Only small amounts of tea are needed to activate the cooling of the body.
8. This plant has been used in Ayurvedic medicine for centuries, mainly for treating digestive problems. Mayana tea can help to relieve gas, bloating and stomach pain.
9. The leaves can also be pickled and consumed. In fact in Gujarat, India over 980 tons of the coleus plant is harvested each year.
10. In the 1970s scientists discovered that this plant contains ‘Forskolin’ a powerful natural medicine. Forskolin is helpful in relieving high blood pressure for those with circulatory problems.
11. This compound also helps to relieve pressure from the eyes, especially if you have astigmatism or glaucoma.
12. Forskolin also boosts the release of hormones from the thyroid gland, which are important for many different functions in the body.
13. You can purchase capsules of forskolin in health food stores. This is extracted from mainly the roots of the Mayana plant.
14. Mayana grows heavily in the foothills of the Himalayan mountains and on the dry slopes of Indian Plains.
15. In Unani Tibb herbal medicine an infusion of mayana leaves in water is drunk to treat breathing issues such as asthma and bronchitis. The volatile oils within the leaves help to open the airways.
16. Mayana tea can also help to relieve menstrual cramps and improve the monthly cycle for women.
17. You can also boil the stems, flours and leaves together to make a diabetes drink. This helps to reduce blood sugar levels and help in controlling insulin.
18. If you regularly take heartburn medication then you may be causing damage to your stomach. These neutralise the important acids that the stomach needs to break down foods. Mayana leaf tea helps to ease strengthen the stomach naturally without the need for prescription drugs.
19. If you have a wound or cut you can apply mashed mayana leaves to the area for faster healing
20. To cure a sore throat simply mash the leaves into a paste and squeeze through a cheesecloth to release the juice. Mix this juice with a tablespoon of honey, 1 egg yolk and a little water. This is soothing for the throat, just be sure not to take too much as it is very powerful. Be sure to get advice from a local herbalist or doctor before using herbal remedies.