The health benefits and uses of moringa powder, also known as drumstick or mallunggay powder.
1. Moringa powder is made from the dried leaves of the moringa oleifera, a drought-resistant tree native to warm climates around the world.
2. This powder has been used as a natural medicine for thousands of years and has many health benefits. This is also known as “The miracle tree”.
3. You can purchase this powder from health food stores, it is recommended to purchase the organic variety as this is the most powerful.
4. This powder contains 46 types of antioxidants, over 92 nutrients and a host of anti-inflammatory compounds, making it one of the most powerful superfoods in the world.
5. You should take 1 to 2 teaspoons of this powder every day to boost your health rapidly. This can be added to cold water to make a tea, or blended into smoothies or juices. It has a green earthy taste, similar to spinach.
6. The powerful antioxidants are extremely powerful in destroying free radicals in the bloodstream. This reduces oxidative stress and allows your body to heal from over 300 types of medical conditions.
7. The UV in the sunshine can be damaging to the skin, however the antioxidants within moringa power aid in protecting the skin from cancer and premature ageing.
8. You can also use fresh moringa leaves to make a tea, however, the nutrients within the powder are more easily absorbed by the body.
9. The amino acids within the powder triggers elevated energy levels, making you sharper, more alert and awake.
10. When taking this regularly, the liver will begin to work more efficiently as this causes it to flush out fat stores.
11. This also works well for regulating the hormone levels in the body, especially for post-menopausal women.
12. Many people with stomach ulcers use this remedy to heal these and improve the digestive system.
13. Those with high cholesterol levels are at risk of heart problems. This powder prevents plaque from building up in the arteries. This works well when you also perform a small amount of exercise each week.
14. New studies are showing that moringa may also work as a treatment for Alzheimer’s disease, however, more research is required.
15. The powder also helps to regulate blood sugar levels, therefore providing a soothing effect on those with diabetes.
16. Many mothers who are breastfeeding their babies use moringa to increase the nutrients within their milk, helping their baby to grow healthily.
17. The powder can also be made into a paste by adding a little water. This can be applied to the skin to treat bacterial and fungal skin infections, and also pimples.
18. Those with a low sexual drive can use moringa powder to boost their libido and sexual function.
19. Some also refer to this as the “elixir of life” as it contains high concentrations of zeatin. This is a plant hormone which has been linked to slowing down the ageing process of the body.
20. A little moringa powder can be added to your plant pots to speed up the growth of seedlings. 21. The rich iron content and Vitamin A fights anaemia and is therefore recommended for those on a plant-based diet, such as vegans.
22. If you prefer, you can purchase moringa as dried leaves, fresh or in capsule form.
Other parts of the moringa tree are used in traditional medicine, including the bark, seeds, pods, roots, sap and flowers.