The health benefits and uses of plums
1. Plums are delicious purple-skinned fruits which are rich in nutrients are excellent for the human body. These can be used to prevent many chronic diseases.
2. These have been eaten and grown by humans for thousands of years in China and Japan and have a delicious sweet flavour when ripe.
3. Plum fruits are excellent for improving the health of the heart. They contain Anthocyanins which reduces inflammation in the arteries.
4. These wonderful flavonoids have also been shown to reduce the risk of cancer, however, more research is required.
5. Plums help the body to balance blood sugar levels, which is useful for those with diabetes or obesity. They increase levels of the adiponectin hormone in the body which regulates blood sugar.
6. Studies have shown that plums eaten regularly can reduce high blood pressure for those with hypertension.
7. The skins of plums are sometimes dried and ground to make plum powder. This is used as a flavouring and cooking agent in certain recipes.
8. Certain varieties of plums are dried and made into prunes. These are useful in treating osteoporosis and osteopenia, as they strengthen the bones.
9. You can make a delicious plum smoothie by blending 3-4 plums with a little fresh apple juice and a teaspoon of cinnamon. Add a few ice cubes for a tasty and detoxifying drink.
10. Plums also contain Vitamins A, B2, B3, B4, B6 and K. They also have minerals such as potassium, copper, manganese, magnesium and phosphorus.
11. Macular degeneration is a common eye problem that comes with age. Vitamin A, lutein and zeaxanthin in plums helps to protect the eyes from this as well as UV radiation from the sun.
12. Regular consumption of plums has been shown to reduce anxiety. Chlorogenic acids within the fruit reduce damage in the brain caused by oxidative stress.
13. Japanese plums have been used to make a concentrated juice. This is used to treat the Influenza virus also known as flu. It can also prevent this onset of this infection.
14. Eating plums regularly is also wonderful for improving digestion. The fibre and enzymes within help the body to break down its food and absorb all of the nutrients. This effectively treats constipation in a natural way.
15. Drinking plum juice is an effective way to reduce inflammation in the brain to improve learning and memory functions. If you drink this long term, you lower your risk of neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s disease.