The health benefits of red bananas and their uses.
1. Bananas are one of the world’s most favourite fruits and are grown in many countries around the world. Many people do not realise that you can purchase red bananas which are a different variety.
2. Originally from India, these bananas are now grown in tropical climates around the world. They are commonly shipped from Central America, East Africa, Asia, South America and the United Arab Emirates.
3. The red banana has a red/purple tone within the skin, and the flesh inside has a pink colour. They have a slight raspberry flavour which is absolutely delicious.
4. The fruit is very similar to a yellow banana however there are different sizes available. There are smaller fatter versions of the red banana and extremely large varieties.
5. To determine if the red banana is ripe, simply look at the skin. The skin will become a chestnut toned colour when it is ready for eating.
6. The average red banana as around 110 calories making it an excellent fruit for losing weight. It helps you to feel full and contains complex carbohydrates.
7. They contain a higher amount of vitamin C and beta carotene than a yellow banana. These antioxidants strengthen your immune system and slow down the effects of ageing.
8. Try slicing one of these delicious red fruits whilst keeping the skin on. Add to a pan of simmering water for 10 minutes, strain and drink the red banana tea. This helps you to sleep at night due to its concentration of Tryptophan.
9. You can also bake, fry or toast red bananas and they can even be purchased in dried form.
10. The bananas themselves are an excellent source of potassium which is an essential nutrient. This can prevent leg cramps at night especially in older people.
11. It also strengthens the heart when consumed on a daily basis, as the potassium regulates blood pressure.
12. They are a powerhouse of essential nutrients such as calcium, manganese, magnesium, iron, folate, niacin, riboflavin and Vitamin B6.
13. The sweet berry like aroma can be enjoyed when first peeling the skin back from the fruit. This gives the fruit a very tropical and indulgent appeal.
14. Baking banana bread may be a little more interesting when using this variety, as you can enjoy its subtle sweet tones or raspberry.
15. Those who suffer from anaemia can benefit from eating red bananas daily. The iron within helps to produce red blood cells and fight fatigue.