The health benefits and uses of Sauerkraut
1. Sauerkraut is a form of tasty fermented cabbage which is very popular in Europe and has some fantastic health benefits for the human body.
2. The Mongols of Northern China created sauerkraut and other fermented foods to keep them fresh for longer, as the sugars in the cabbage get converted to lactic acid which acts as a preservative.
3. Sauerkraut is rich in prebiotics and probiotics which boosts friendly bacteria in your intestines. This helps your body to absorb more nutrients from the foods that you eat.
4. Some people suffer from bloating and gas when they consume vegetables. Fermented vegetables like sauerkraut are a great alternative as it is easier on the digestive system.
5. Eating sauerkraut helps your body to make more acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter that stimulates nerve impulses for the digestive system. This helps to provide relief from constipation.
6. Acetylcholine also helps the pancreas to release more enzymes which break down foods and improve digestion.
7. Eating sauerkraut also boosts lactic acid in the body which helps to destroy unfriendly bacteria and pathogens from the body.
8. Lactic acid from sauerkraut also helps you to absorb certain minerals and boost the immune system.
9. Sauerkraut is also one of the best foods that you can eat to boost Vitamin C levels in the body. Some types of sauerkraut contain over 700mg of Vitamin C which will boost your energy levels, strengthen your arteries, blood flow and support your immune system to fight diseases and infections.
10. If you suffer with plaque in the arteries or weak joints then sauerkraut can definitely help you. It is rich in Vitamin K2 which helps the body to move calcium out of the soft tissues and put it into the bones where it belongs.
11. Moving calcium into the bones strengthens them and lowers the risk of bone disorders and osteoporosis.
12. Vitamin K2 in sauerkraut also strengthens the mitochondria in the body and provides higher energy levels when you are exercising. When eating this often you will notice that you can climb stairs and hills with ease, as the body releases more energy quickly.
13. The fibre in sauerkraut help to feed friendly microbes in the gut which then produce immune-boosting compounds in the body. 80 percent of the immune system is located in the lower gut.
14. It also helps to boost Vitamin U in the body, a natural compound which heals inflammatory conditions in the digestive system. This can improve colitis, reduce ulcers, gastritis and general lower inflammation in this region.
15. Studies show that boosting friendly bacteria in the gut is linked to better brain health and mental focus. As sauerkraut boosts these probiotics, eating it can effectively reduce depression, anxiety, autism, OCD and mood disorders.
16. Sauerkraut has also been shown to prevent precancerous cells from becoming cancerous, by switching off carcinogen-activating enzymes in the body.
17. The Vitamin K2 in this vegetable will also work with its anti-inflammatory compounds to protect the body from heart problems later in life.
18. When purchasing sauerkraut be sure to look for non-pasteurized and ensure that there are no added sugars. You want a good quality organic variety for improving overall health.
19. If you are overweight, sauerkraut will also help your digestive system to break down foods which has the secondary effect of promoting healthy weight loss.