How To Improve Prostate Health?
The prostate is a walnut-sized gland which sits underneath the bladder in men and is part of the reproductive system. Many men suffer from an enlarged or swollen prostate over the age of 50, but prostatitis is becoming more common in younger men. Unfortunately, prostate cancer is the second leading cause of male cancer in the USA, so it’s important to keep this gland healthy, especially with age.
In this article, we summarise the best 10 ways to improve prostate health.
1. Lower Estrogen: One of the leading causes of prostate enlargement (BPH) is high estrogen in men, especially in those who have liver problems or lots of belly fat. Estrogen is an anabolic hormone, meaning that it can cause the prostate to grow. This is most common in men over the age of 50 but can affect males of all ages. You can lower estrogen naturally by consuming cruciferous vegetables daily such as kale, brussels sprouts, beet tops, broccoli, cabbage and bok choy.
2. Reduce Sugar: The second cause of prostate enlargement is having too much of the insulin hormone in the body. Consuming too many sugary foods, grains, flours and refined carbohydrates raises insulin in the body too high, which causes inflammation and swelling in the prostate. This is affecting younger and middle-aged men more and more, causing a painful burning sensation in the urethra and a constant urge to urinate. Cut out the sugars and refined carbs and follow a low carb diet such as healthy keto, to keep insulin and blood sugars balanced.
3. Herbal Treatments: Prostate enlargement affects over half the population, and prostate cancer is the second-highest form of cancer in men in the USA. If you suffer from these conditions or prostatitis there are herbal supplements that you can take to help reduce the swelling. Stinging Nettle Root is one of the best anti-inflammatory teas in the world and can reduce swelling in the prostate, and prevent testosterone from being converted into estrogen. Saw Palmetto is another excellent herb for supporting prostate function and can help men who have the urge to urinate frequently during the night and have a feeling of not emptying the bladder. Saw palmetto reduces swelling in the gland and can reduce the risk of kidney infections. The third best herbal supplement for the prostate is pumpkin seed oil. A scientific study showed that consuming 320mg of pumpkin seed oil each day for six months helped to shrink the prostate for men with BPH.
4. Healthy Oils To improve the health of the prostate: we recommend consuming omega 3 fatty acids on a daily basis. These are found in oily fish like salmon, sardines, trout and mackerel. We also recommend virgin cod liver oil, olive oil, grass-fed butter and extra virgin coconut oil. These reduce inflammation in the body and protect the prostate cells from free radical damage that comes with age. Cut out the refined vegetable oils and trans fats, which are often found in fast foods and ready meals.
5. Reduce Stress: Scientific studies show that high-stress levels can also lead to prostate enlargement or BPH. Chronic stress causes the male hormone testosterone to be converted into estradiol, a potent form of estrogen. You can lower stress and cortisol naturally by going on long slow walks in nature. Essential oils that are released from trees into the air have been shown to calm down the bodies nervous system. Getting more sleep and drinking herbal teas are also excellent ways to reduce stress and anxiety, to protect your prostate and immune system.
6. Zinc: Zinc is the most important mineral needed for a healthy prostate. It helps the prostate to function in making fluid used in reproduction. Zinc deficiencies have been linked to prostate enlargement and prostate cancer, so it’s important to get plenty of this in your diet. It is most concentrated in foods like grass-fed beef liver, oysters, crab meat and pumpkin seeds. You can also take a daily supplement in pill form. Chelated zinc is best absorbed and is often labelled as Zinc Biglycinate Chelate.
7. Boost Absorption: Many men suffer from low stomach acid, which leads to acid reflux, heartburn and indigestion. If this is the case then you will be unable to absorb nutrients properly, especially minerals like zinc which are needed for prostate function. To fix this problem, simply take a good quality enzyme blend in capsule form. Look for a brand which contains betaine HCL and ox bile. You may also take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar mixed in a glass of water before meals. This helps the stomach to break down and absorb minerals that support the prostate gland.
8. Quit Alcohol is the main tip to improve prostate health: Alcohol causes inflammation in the liver cells which leads to hormone imbalances in men. Drinking alcoholic drinks on a regular basis causes the male testosterone hormone to be converted into estrogen, which is the leading cause of prostate health problems. Men over the age of 50, in particular, should cut this out to prevent a higher risk of prostate cancer.
9. Tomatoes: Tomatoes are rich in an antioxidant called lycopene which gives them their red colour. When tomatoes are cooked this is activated and can help support a healthy prostate. Studies show that men who consume more lycopene and tomatoes in their diet have a lower risk of prostate cancer.
10. Green Tea: We highly recommend consuming 1-2 cups of decaffeinated green tea per day. This is rich in antioxidants which reduce inflammation in the prostate. Matcha is the healthiest variety of green tea and is rich in chlorophyll which cleanses the liver, lowers estrogen in men and helps to keep the immune system strong. Other herbal teas like chamomile, lavender and passionflower can also help you to get more sleep, reduce stress and protect the hormone balance in men.
As you can see there are many ways to improve prostate health in men. It is very important to eat nutrient-rich foods and follow a healthy diet to protect our long term health, and prevent the prostate from becoming swollen. Prostate enlargement and prostate cancer are high-risk issues in men and can lead to problems with urination, erectile dysfunction and kidney infections. Following the steps outlined in today’s video will help to keep this gland in full working order, along with regular exercise. We also highly recommend consuming foods rich in selenium and vitamin E, as these are both linked to lower risk of prostate cancer. Getting sunshine on the skin daily also helps the body to make Vitamin D, which can reduce stress levels, balance hormones and further protect the prostate with age.