The 10 Best Ways to Lower Cortisol
Cortisol is a stress hormone which is made by the adrenal glands in the body. Having too much cortisol can lead to many different problems like belly fat, brain fog, anxiety, high blood pressure and sleep disorders It also weakens your immune system and makes you more likely to get infected by viruses and bacteria.
In this article, we teach you how to lower cortisol levels naturally so that you can live a peaceful and stress-free life.
1. Vitamin B1 & B5: Vitamin B1 is the most important nutrient for lowering cortisol levels and calming down the nervous system. Both B1 and B5 help to lower stress and make you feel calmer and more relaxed because they support the adrenal glands which control cortisol. Nutritional Yeast is the best natural source of these B Vitamins.
2. Sleep: When we do not get enough sleep, our hormones and brain chemistry become imbalanced. A lack of deep sleep causes the body to make too much cortisol and noradrenaline, making you feel tense and irritated often. Try to get at least 7-8 hours of sleep restorative sleep per day by using some of the relaxation techniques in today’s video.
3. Adaptogens: There are many natural herbs available which help your body to adapt to stress. We recommend ashwagandha, liquorice root, Rhodiola and cordyceps. These support the function of the adrenal glands and also work as natural sleep aids.
4. Exercise When lowering cortisol it is very important to get lots of low-stress exercises. We recommend long walks of at least 30 minutes per day, with lots of space and fresh air. This is one of the best ways to calm the body and restore balance to the cortisol hormone. You can also perform pilates or low-intensity yoga.
5. Reduce Lights: Before going to sleep turn off all lights, cell phones and devices for at least 30 minutes. Plan ahead so that you can do this, as lights keep the brain active and can ruin your sleep cycles. Blue light especially has been linked to high cortisol during the night, which prevents you from sleeping properly.
6. Minerals are essentials to lower your cortisol levels: Potassium and Magnesium are the two most important minerals for reducing cortisol and stress. These are electrolytes which help control and balance energy in the cells of the body. You can get these from eating leafy greens and avocados. They support the parasympathetic nervous system which puts your mind into a state of peace and focus.
7. Vitamin D: Over 1 billion people are deficient in Vitamin D which causes us to feel stressed and have a weaker immune system. Getting 20 minutes of sunshine causes the skin to produce Vitamin D in the body. If you can’t get enough sun due to weather, you can take 10,000IU of Vitamin D3 per day. Be sure to always take this with 100mcg of Vitamin K2, as these work together in the body.
8. Stimulants: It is important to stop drinking lots of coffee and energy drinks as these can cause some major damage to the adrenal glands. Consuming too much caffeine and sugar gives you a quick boost in energy but causes long term problems with your hormones. Be sure to only drink 1-2 cups of coffee per day and quit energy drinks entirely to lower cortisol.
9. Emotional Stress: One of the main causes of high cortisol is emotional stress. This is usually caused by stressful people or life situations that are hard to manage. It is important to make changes in your life if this is happening because these stressors have a physical effect on your health and wellbeing. Take small steps to change your life, by limiting interactions with stressful situations.
10. Aromatherapy is good to lower your cortisol levels: Last but not least, we recommend using essential oils to calm down the adrenal glands. Oil burners, diffusers and massage oils can be used to reduce stress and cortisol naturally. Lavender, Rose and Ylang Ylang are some of the best oils, which release calming compounds into the air that relax the body and mind.
As you can see there are many ways to lower cortisol naturally and release stress from the body. Often people try to push through stress, which only makes the problem worse as it builds and builds inside the body. Acupressure and massage are techniques of pulling stress physically out of the muscles and body. These methods create deeper sensations of relaxation which switches off the fight or flight mechanism in the body.