The health benefits and uses of Spirulina
1. Spirulina is a blue-green algae which is a freshwater plant and has some tremendous health benefits for the human body. It has been consumed since ancient times by the Aztecs as it was their primary source of protein and nutrition.
2. This wonderful superfood can be purchased as a powder online and in health food stores around the world. It is also available in capsule or pill form. The highest quality of spirulina powder comes from Hawaii.
3. Spirulina is a natural probiotic, which helps to boost friendly bacteria in your digestive system. These friendly microbes help your body to digest food more effectively, providing you with more nutrition. These digestive microbes are important when trying to manage or lose weight.
4. This dark green powder of spirulina is also packed full of Chlorophyll. This is a rich green pigment found in plants and vegetables which is one of the healthiest things you can consume. Chlorophyll found in spirulina has powerful antioxidant effects and improves the health of the liver, digestive system, skin, and overall health of the body. It also has the ability to fight and prevent cancer.
5. Many vegans and vegetarians use this powder daily as it is a very rich source of protein. Along with its other healthy vitamins and minerals.
6. We are often exposed to microwaves, mildly radioactive foods and radiation. Spirulina has the special ability to protect the body from radiation poisoning, by protecting the cells.
7. We recommend taking 1-2 teaspoons of this powder a day in a glass of water, to enjoy its health benefits. Alternatively, you can blend this into delicious healthy smoothies.
8. Taking this on a daily basis has been shown to help balance blood pressure and reduce cholesterol when taken for at least six weeks. This helps to protect and maintain a healthy cardiovascular system.
9. A scientific study showed that a regular intake of spirulina helped to protect people from the dangerous HIV virus. More research is required, however, this is promising as a form of treatment.
10. Taking this algae often also has been proven to lower the risk of stroke, which is why it is important for the elderly to consider superfoods such as this as a part of their diet.
11. The chlorophyll and other nutrients also help to protect the brain from neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s. It also naturally increases cognitive function helping you to think more clearly and with more focus.
12. If you suffer from low energy levels and find it difficult to get up after a long nights sleep, taking spirulina daily will help with this. Take this in the morning in a glass of water for the best effects.
13. Spirulina powder has the ability to detoxify your body by removing heavy metals which may be steadily poisoning your blood and causing health problems. Many foods that we eat are sprayed with pesticides containing arsenic. Spirulina can remove arsenic from the body. Sources of fish and seafood may also contain heavy metals. Eat a regular dose of spirulina to detoxify these metals from your body.
14. Nutritionally, spirulina is an excellent source of Vitamins A, B12, K1, K2, Protein, Chromium, Iron and Manganese. It also contains some excellent phytonutrients such as beta carotene. It is important to note that spirulina is thousands of times more powerful than carrots, spinach and berries for nutrients.