A list of 16 healthy herbs for weight loss
Almost everyone struggles with carrying a little too much weight at some point in their lives. Weight gain is commonly caused by eating too many junk foods, sugars and processed carbohydrates. These junk foods cause damage to the cells of the body and insulin resistance, which causes the body to store more body fat. The good news is that there are some excellent spices and herbs for weight loss. These help to trigger the body’s natural processes, in tapping into its own fat reserves for energy.
In this article, we share with you a list of 16 herbs that you can use to speed up weight loss in the body. Let’s take a look at some of these herbs.
1. Cayenne Pepper: This is hot chilli pepper which has a warming effect on the body called thermogenesis. This boosts the metabolism and makes you burn more calories, by up to 25 per cent. It is mostly used as a spice in cooking or can be eaten fresh.
2. Matcha: This is a super-concentrated form of green tea which has been used by monks for centuries. It contains healing properties and can speed fat burning by up to 4 times the usual amount.
3. Fenugreek: Both the seeds and the leaves of this plant are used for triggering weight loss in Indian medicine (Ayurveda). It helps the stomach to feel full, making you less likely to overeat.
4. Lemon Peel: The outer peel of the lemon can be steeped in hot water to make a herbal drink. It will release pectin which reduces sugar absorption in the body. This helps you to slim down more easily and maintain a stable weight.
5. Cinnamon: This delicious spice contains reduces blood sugars and ultimately speeds up weight loss. Ceylon cinnamon is best, not the usual cassia variety. Cinnamon also triggers thermogenesis like cayenne pepper.
6. Chamomile: This is a gentle herb which is often used to make herbal teas. This herb helps you to get a more restful nights sleep. You must sleep more when trying to lose weight, as sleep triggers growth hormone for weight loss.
7. Green Coffee: This form of coffee contains a high amount of Chlorogenic Acid which acts as a natural fat burner and weight loss aid. The caffeine can also help the body to access its fat reserves when drank in small amounts.
8. Turmeric: Turmeric is one of the most healing spices known to man and has been used in India for over 4000 years. It contains a natural compound called curcumin which heals the cells of the body and triggers fast weight loss.
9. Black Pepper: Black pepper contains piperine which helps the body to absorb more nutrients. It works well when consumed alongside turmeric. Piperine enhances fat metabolism allowing you to tap into your fat reserves for energy.
10. Ginseng: This is used in Chinese herbalism for triggering weight loss and boosting overall health. The ginsenosides it contains help to control appetite by reducing inflammation of the hypothalamus.
11. Oregano: Both the fresh leaf variety and oil of oregano help you to lose weight. It can be used in many delicious recipes for flavour. Studies show that oregano contains carvacrol which can help the body to metabolise fat.
12. Cardamom: These seeds are used for flavouring Asian cuisine and have intense fat-burning properties. These strengthen the stomach and digestive system. They also help to prevent detox symptoms when losing weight such as feeling lightheaded or weak.
13. Caralluma Fimbriata: A south Indian dried herb which is often used in diet pills. This herb suppresses your appetite and makes you feel less hungry throughout the day. It helps to boost mood and “happy hormones” in the brain, making you less likely to crave.
14. Mint This contains a compound called menthol which is known to balance digestion if you suffer from diarrhoea or constipation. Drinking mint infused water is delicious and helps your body in eliminating fat during a diet.
15. Cumin: Cumin seed water can help to lower insulin resistance which is the leading cause of weight gain. Drinking this cleanses the body internally which may be needed if you have been eating junk for a long time.
16. Mustard Seed These are a powerful source of antioxidants which lower inflammation and speed up fat burning. You can grind these to make a delicious powder for curries, stir-fries and stews. As you can see there are many herbs that you can consume to help you lose weight faster.