Working while studying in Canada

Work While Studying in Canada

International students with a valid study permit may work while studying in Canada without a work permit. Spouses/Common-law partners of foreign students can also work in Canada while their spouse is studying. The spouse can apply for an Open Work Permit which allows them to work in any job without restriction.

Work On-Campus in Canada

Full-time students who are enrolled at an institution may work at that institution’s campus in any job without a work permit. Students may work at more than one campus of an institution, provided that they are in the same municipality. Students may be enrolled in any course to be eligible.

Working Off-Campus in Canada

Foreign students may qualify to work off-campus without a work permit. This will allow them to:

  •  work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions and
  •  work full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break.

In order to be eligible to work off campus, international students must:

  •  Hold a valid Study Permit
  •  Be studying at a designated learning institution the post-secondary level or, in Quebec, a vocational program at the secondary level
  •  Remain in satisfactory academic standing as determined by their institution
  • Be studying in an academic, vocational or professional training program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate that is at least six months in duration.