10 Foods Rich In Iodine and its benefits.
Iodine is a natural mineral which the body needs to produce important thyroid hormones. The body needs these hormones for brain development and bone growth in children. This is also important for adults as they help the body to control body temperature, the heartbeat, weight balance, muscle contractions and more. The minimum recommended daily intake of iodine is 150mcg for adults or 250mcg for pregnant or breastfeeding women.
Let’s take a look at some of the best foods that you can eat to boost your iodine intake.
1. Boiled Eggs: 1 Boiled egg contains 12mcg of Iodine.
2. Strawberries: 130g of Strawberries contains 13mcg of Iodine.
3. Tuna: 85g of Tuna contains 17 mcg of Iodine.
4. Navy Beans: 65g of Organic navy beans contains 32mcg of Iodine.
5. Raw Milk: 250ml of Cows milk contains 56 mcg of Iodine.
6. Potato: 1 medium-sized potato contains 60mcg of Iodine.
7. Raw Yoghurt: 250ml of organic raw yoghurt contains 75mcg of iodine.
8. Cod: 85 grams of wild-caught cod contains 99mcg of Iodine.
9. Cranberries: 100 grams of cranberries contains 400mcg of iodine.
10. Sea Weed / Dried Kelp: 1 tablespoon of kelp contains 2000mcg of iodine.
Simply adding a mixture of these foods into your daily diet will boost your intake of iodine. This will reduce many health problems such as fatigue, thyroid problems, irregular heartbeat, dry skin, regular muscle pain, swollen salivary glands, dry mouth and poor concentration. Iodine also helps to prevent cancer, as it causes cancerous cells to destroy their selves from within, without harming healthy cells. It is also vitally important for the development and growth of children. A lack of iodine can cause neurodegenerative problems and learning disabilities. The brain needs a healthy source of iodine in order to develop properly and to use all of its cognitive functions.