The health benefits and uses of apples.
1. Apples are one of the world most popular fruits in the world and provide a great range of health benefits for the human body.
2. Many people are aware of the Welsh proverb “An apple a day keeps the doctor away.” There appears to be a lot of truth in this, as we will explore in this article.
3. Apples have been ranked as one of the world’s healthiest foods due to the powerful nutrients they contain.
4. Studies have shown that apples contain a powerful antioxidant called quercetin. This wonderful ingredient boosts health by increasing neurotransmitters. This improves memory, makes you think more clearly and is also helpful for those with Alzheimer’s disease.
5. Eating an apple a day can reduce your risk of having a stroke and heart disease. The phytonutrients within the fruit lower LDL cholesterol in the bloodstream. Apples also contain pectin. These soluble fibres naturally lower cholesterol and blood sugar levels.
6. Apples are also a negative-calorie food. This means that the body uses more calories to break the food down that it does in eating it. This makes this fruit excellent for those who are dieting or trying to lose weight.
7. If you eat a lot of starchy foods such as bread, pasta, cereal, pancakes, waffles etc… Then it’s recommended replacing these with healthy fruits such as apples, pears, oranges and blackberries. These will protect your health long term, and make you more resistant to diseases and infections.
8. Apples also contain B-Complex vitamins such as riboflavin, thiamine and vitamin B6. These help to produce red blood cells and improve blood flow.
9. Many studies have shown that apples could reduce the risk of developing certain cancers, especially in the pancreas. Triterpenoids in apple peel can prevent cancerous growths in the liver, colon and breasts.
10. A diet rich in healthy fibre from apples and other foods prevents the build-up of gallstones.
11. Many people who suffer from Irritable bowel syndrome eat lots of apples as it works to stabilise this condition.
12. We recommend making fresh apple juice at home by blending a mixture of green and red apples and then sieving to produce a natural juice. This is much healthier than apple juice found in the supermarket.
13. Apples can also be fermented in sugar and water to produce apple cider vinegar. This is one of the most powerful superfoods known to man.
14. The antioxidants in apples and other fruits and vegetables lower the risk of developing cataracts as we get older. They prevent free radical damage in the body and slow down the ageing process.
15. If you have constipation we recommend drinking freshly made apple juice with carrot juice. This will trigger a bowel movement very quickly.
16. The seeds of the apple are completely edible and will not harm you. Some people are concerned that they are poisonous, however, you would have to eat 100’s of apple seeds within a day to experience any problems. 17. Did you know that you can use apple cores to make a healthier jam at home? These can be boiled to release pectin and added to marmalade recipes.
18. Asthma sufferers often eat a low amount of antioxidants. The vitamin C and antioxidants in apples may ease this condition.
19. Those who suffer from diabetes should eat healthier carbohydrates to keep their blood sugar under control. Apples help the body to absorb glucose, making these an excellent snack.