The health benefits of cod liver oil and it’s medicinal uses.
Cod Liver Oil is a nutrient-dense liquid that has been used in traditional medicine for hundreds of years in Europe. This is often taken as a daily supplement to protect and heal the human body from many different health problems.
In this article, we will explore 20 facts and benefits of cod liver oil, and explain how it works in the body.
1. Arthritis: Cod liver oil can help those suffering with all forms of arthritis, as it is rich in omega 3 fatty acids. Omega 3’s lower inflammation in the joints and work as natural pain relief. Taking a daily supplement can help to reduce stiffness and swelling in the joints.
2. Vitamin D: Over 1 billion people worldwide are deficient in vitamin D which is needed for a strong immune system and to support bone health. Cod liver oil is one of the best natural sources of Vitamin D and can help the body to absorb minerals for excellent overall health.
3. Immunity: If you suffer from cold or flu infections often then taking a good quality cod liver oil supplement can help. This supports your immunity in fighting off harmful viruses, bacteria and other pathogens from the environment. Fish oils are loaded with healing nutrients that help keep your natural defences high to disease.
4. Brain Health is the supreme health benefits of cod liver oil: We highly recommend taking cod liver oil if you suffer from memory problems, brain fog or poor concentration. Studies have shown that DHA found in cod liver oil can rapidly boost brain health, and may help to prevent dementia with age. DHA is used as raw material to make the brain structure and its cells. This is extremely important in growing children especially and in pregnant women.
5. Stress: Studies show that taking cod liver oil frequently reduces problems related to stress, anxiety and depression. The Vitamin D and EPA found in cod liver oil helps the brain to regulate its stress response, in creating feelings of peace. They also help to balance brain chemistry and neurotransmitters to help you sleep better at night.
6. Heart Health: Cod liver oil is perhaps most well-known for its ability to strengthen the heart and cardiovascular system. The omega 3 fatty acids reduce inflammation in the blood vessels and arteries to allow for normal blood flow. This helps the heart to pump oxygen-rich blood around the body to support your billions of cells.
7. Eye Health: Cod liver oil is one of the best natural sources of Retinol, also known as the active form of Vitamin A. This helps to lubricate the eyes, reduce night blindness and protect the eyes from free radical damage. This can lower the risk of macular degeneration, cataracts, glaucoma and reduced vision with age.
8. Sinus Problems: If you suffer from chronic sinusitis or have a blocked nose regularly then you need to be getting more Vitamin A into your diet. The active form of Vitamin A in cod liver oil helps to reduce sinus infections and heal the internal skin in the nasal passages. This can also help with sleep apnoea and preventing throat infections.
9. Skin Problems: Many people suffer from dry, flaky skin especially on the scalp, arms and around the ears. This is a classic Vitamin A deficiency and can be fixed with cod liver oil and other foods like grass-fed beef liver, and egg yolks. If you are deficient in Vitamin A you will also be more likely to have pimples, acne, white bumps on the arms and other skin problems.
10. Diabetes Taking cod liver oil as a daily supplement can help to prevent the onset of diabetes, and also help those currently suffering from it. Vitamin A found in cod liver oil reduces insulin resistance and helps the body to control its blood sugar levels. It does this by supporting healthy beta cells in the pancreas.
11. Weight Loss Health benefits of cod liver oil: If you are looking trying to lose weight or burn off some extra pounds cod liver oil is very useful. The insulin hormone must be kept down in the body in order to burn fat quickly. The fat-soluble nutrients found in the cod liver oil help to keep this hormone down so that you may tap into your own fat reserves for energy, and lose weight.
12. Lung Function: Scientific studies have also shown that cod liver oil can support healthy lungs and breathing. This is helpful for those suffering from asthma, bronchitis, COPD or other respiratory problems. The omega 3 fatty acids and vitamin d to reduce inflammation in the lung and throat tissues.
13. Bone Health: Vitamin D found in this oil help the body to absorb and mobilise calcium and other minerals. This can make the bones stronger and less brittle with age, reducing the risk of osteoporosis and osteopenia.
14. Menstrual Pain: If you are a woman who suffers from heavy periods and above average menstrual pain then you make consider cod liver oil. The omega 3’s help to naturally alleviate pain and also help the blood to flow more freely. We also recommend Vitamin B12 and eating lots of cruciferous vegetables to balance female hormones.
15. Wound Healing: Scientists showed that cod liver oil can be applied topically to cuts and wounds to speed up the healing process. Vitamin A is believed to help restore the structure of the skin very quickly and also reduce inflammation.
16. Nutrients in cod liver oil: 1 teaspoon generally contains 4500 IU of Vitamin A, 450 IU of Vitamin D, 888mg of Omega 3’s, 42mg of Omega 6’s, and 26mg of Cholesterol.
17. Absorption of cod liver oil: The important nutrients found in cod liver oil such as DHA, EPA, Vitamin A and Vitamin D are fat-soluble. To absorb these properly you will need a healthy digestive system and a working gallbladder. If you struggle with digestion issues, you can take an ox bile supplement daily to help absorb fat-soluble nutrients and omega 3’s.
18. Supplement: Most supplements you see in stores are highly processed and heated which destroys their delicate nutrients. Unfortunately, cod liver oil can go rancid very quickly so it is important to purchase a high quality “virgin cod liver oil” that is mostly unprocessed. We recommend Icelandic Cod Liver Oil, as these tend to be higher quality, however, they are more expensive. If you can’t get a hold of this, we highly recommend Antarctic Krill Oil from sustainable sources. This has very similar benefits to cod liver oil yet doesn’t go rancid very easily, because it contains a natural preservative called astaxanthin.
19. Dosage” You can either purchase liquid cod liver oil or get it in soft gel capsules. Be sure to read the label for the correct daily dosage. 20. Storage Fish oils contain delicate chains of omega 3’s and fat-soluble nutrients which become rancid easily. To prevent this from happening store them in the refrigerator, in the same way, you would with raw fish.
As you can see cod liver oil has some fantastic health benefits for the human body, especially when taken on a regular basis.