The health benefits of tomato juice and a recipe to make this yourself at home.
1. Tomatoes are a red fruit which belongs to the nightshade family. These were originally used in Mexico as a food source, but are now used all over the world. Juice from tomatoes can be drunk every day to receive a wonderful range of health benefits for the human body.
2. Tomato juice contains a high amount of lycopene. This is a powerful antioxidant which has been shown to prevent prostate, lung and stomach cancers. Studies have also shown that lycopene reduces the risk of breast and prostate cancer and stunts the growth of kidney tumours.
3. This wonderful antioxidant is one of the best eye vitamins that you can consume. It has been shown to prevent cataracts and macular degeneration
4. Tomato juice can also improve the health of your bones as the lycopene within relieves oxidative stress, reducing the risk of brittle and weak bone structure.
5. Drinking tomato juice rather than just eating tomatoes provides four times the amount of lycopene the body absorbs, amongst its other nutrients. Let’s take a look at how to make tomato juice. You, Will, Need 15 fresh tomatoes 1 tablespoon of brown sugar (optional) Method: Slice the tomatoes and place in a large stainless steel pan. Add the sugar and simmer for 25 minutes until it has a soup-like consistency. Allow this to cool before passing through a sieve to remove any fibres. Place this in the refrigerator, and allow it to cool. This makes around 1 litre of tomato juice, which should be drunk within 3-4 days. You can drink as much of this as you wish.
6. The niacin contained within tomatoes helps to lower high cholesterol levels in those who wish to maintain a healthy heart.
7. Tomatoes contain a rich supply of phytonutrients which help to prevent blood clotting in the body. Those who have suffered from heart problems in the past can drink this to aid their condition.
8. It is also a powerful anti-inflammatory. Research has shown that a daily glass of tomato juice can lower inflammation in the body by one third. This reduces the risk of all types of diseases and ailments.
9. The juice can be used externally on the skin to treat conditions such as acne and pigmentation. The natural acids tighten pores and dry out pimples.
10. The choline and sulphur content helps the liver and kidneys to flush out toxins from the body, boosting overall health.
11. Many athletes use tomato juice after a workout, as it has been shown to speed the recovery of muscles before exercising again.
12. Millions of senior citizens suffer from leg cramps and muscular spasms. Drinking a glass of tomato juice every day has been shown to reduce these problems considerably.
13. Today’s recipe can be used as a base for delicious and healthy curries. You can add other healthy spices and herbs seen in our other videos, to create powerful health-boosting meals.
14. We also recommend drinking this to replace any fizzy drinks. These junk food drinks can cause some major problems related to weight gain, whereas tomato juice is a healthy alternative with a delicious taste.
15. Finally, let’s take a look at tomato juice nutrition. It contains Vitamin C, K1, B9, Potassium, Phosphorus, Copper, Niacin, Lycopene, Beta Carotene, Naringenin, Chlorogenic Acid and Fibre.