The health benefits of saffron milk and how to make this yourself at home.
1. Saffron is an exotic spice which comes from the crocus sativus flower. This is often used in cooking to add flavour but has also been used for thousands of years as a natural healer.
2. This is also known as Kesar and is usually added to warm milk to create a powerful healing drink. Simply add 2-3 strands of saffron to your warm milk, stir well and let it infuse for five minutes before drinking.
3. Scientific studies have shown that this drink can improve eyesight over time and increase visual acuity. This helps you to see thinks sharper and more clearly.
4. Saffron is rich in manganese, an important nutrient which helps to cure insomnia, helping you to have a relaxing night’s sleep. Drink saffron milk one hour before bed.
5. If you find it difficult to think clearly or suffer with ” brain fog ” saffron can help. A compound called crocin within helps to improve memory, concentration and cognitive function.
6. Those who suffer from Alzheimer’s disease can benefit from drinking saffron milk on a daily basis. A study showed that simply consuming 30mg of saffron per day can improve the illness.
7. Saffron can also be used to flavour some of your favourite foods. Drinking saffron milk is better however, as the fat within the milk helps your body to absorb some of its nutrients.
8. Some studies have shown that saffron can enhance cerebral oxygenation and therefore works to treat arthritis and gout.
9. The high amount of antioxidants helps to relieve menstrual cramps and PMS. Drink a cup of saffron milk during your cycle to ease pain and heavy bleeding.
10. The crocetin also helps to stimulate blood circulation and protects the heart. This compound reduces cholesterol and the hardening of the arteries.
11. For those who suffer from depression, there may be a lack of b vitamins in the body. Saffron provides B vitamins and carotenoids which boost mood and increases serotonin in the brain. This effectively fights depression and anxiety.
12. Traditional remedies use this wonderful drink to reduce the effects of asthma as it is said to increase airflow to the lungs, making it easier to breathe.
13. A sterile cloth soaked in saffron milk can be applied to wounds to promote fast healing. It can also be applied to the skin to treat acne.
14. The safranal and crocin compounds within saffron also help to prevent the growth of cancerous tumours. They also act as an immune modulator, protecting the body from cancer.
15. The rich antioxidants within this spice boost your immune system. This makes your body more resistant to diseases and infections such as cold or flu.
16. You should drink this if you are suffering from a cough or cold. The proteins within the milk with the antioxidants in the saffron to heal sore tissue in the throat quickly.
17. Saffron milk is anti-inflammatory and reduces pain throughout the body. Try drinking this instead of taking drugs for joint or bone pain.
18. Saffron should not be consumed in excess, simply use 2-3 strands in warm milk once per day. We recommend using this at night time for the best effects.
19. Try to use high-quality organic saffron to get the most out of this natural cure.