How to use bay leaves to treat insomnia.
1. Insomnia is a common problem where people find it difficult to “switch off” and fall asleep easily at night. There are many issues which can cause this, such as eating an unhealthy diet or having general stress and anxiety.
2. The good news is that bay leaves have been used as a natural medicine for thousands of years and have the ability to trigger relaxation hormones in your body, helping you to fall asleep.
3. Simply take three bay leaves and place them in a fireproof bowl. Burn them using a match or a lighter. Be careful as these leaves are very inflammable and burn very quickly.
4. The natural aromas from the leaves cause your body to relax within 5-10 minutes. This is due to the natural essential oils the leaves contain such as Pinene, and Cineole.
5. The leaves also contain Eugenol and Myrcene. These compounds have the effect of reducing stress from the body
6. Burn the bay leaves around an hour before you wish to sleep. Put away your phone and mobile devices and simply allow yourself to relax. This will help you to unwind and prepare your mind for rest.
7. This process will also help you to get a rejuvenating night’s sleep, with less chance of waking up restless during the night or early morning.
8. The leaves themselves can be used to flavour delicious meals. In fact, a compound called linalool found in bay leaves has been shown to reduce anxiety and improve social interaction.
9. To enjoy these benefits, the leaves can be steeped in water to create a bay leaf tea, or added to soups and stews, and removed when cooked.
10. Bay leaves are most commonly used as a spice but also have many other health benefits.