The health benefits and uses of Kaffir Lime Leaves
1. Kaffir lime leaves are commonly used as a flavouring in Asian food, especially in Thai, Cambodian and Indonesian cooking. These have some fantastic health benefits for the human body and can be used as natural medicine.
2. The kaffir lime tree is also known as citrus hystrix is very common in warm climates such as India and the Philippines. People harvest the wonderful fruits of these trees, as well as the leaves.
3. The leaves contain some powerful healthy compounds such as Citronellol, Limonene, Nerol, Alkaloids and other organic compounds. These are very powerful and give the limes their unique and powerful flavour.
4. If you get sick more than once a year, this is a sign that your immune system is low. Luckily, these leaves work as a natural antibiotic to heal cold and flu quickly and prevent reinfection.
5. Dinking Kaffir Lime tea is an excellent way to start the day and keep your body healthy and strong. You can make this by using dried or fresh leaves. Steep them in water for 5 minutes before drinking.
6. The antioxidants in the leaves help to get rid of bad breath, as it destroys oral bacteria which creates the smell.
7. Many diseases in the body are caused by inflammation. Consuming kaffir lime, and it’s leaves naturally lowers inflammation, and helps your body to heal. We recommend using kaffir lime as part of a healthy diet to cleanse the liver and kidneys. This will reduce problems associated with gout, arthritis, oedema, headaches, migraines and many more.
8. The leaves also contain properties which help the hair to grow thicker. They are often used in natural shampoos and conditioners and should be taken internally also for the best effects.
9. The leaves can be used to make a natural room fragrance. Simply slice the leaves thinly and soak in water for 2 hours. Store this in a spray bottle and spray as a fine mist into your home. This natural air freshener is said to have a relaxing effect on the mind. The wonderful aroma from the healthy compounds calms the central nervous system.
10. To use these regularly, we recommend eating them raw on the top of delicious meals. Take a sharp knife and remove the midrib (centre spine) of the leaf. Then place the half leaves on top of each other and roll into a tube. Slice vertically as thinly as possible to make very small strips of kaffir lime. These are excellent to throw on top of curries, salads and other foods for a fresh flavouring.